What to do after Kleppner and Purcell?

In summary, there are several good mechanics books to consider after K&K, including Taylor, Gregory, Greiner, Thornton and Marion, and Calkin. Griffiths' Electrodynamics is highly recommended after Purcell, and it is best to study it concurrently with Purcell. As for Griffiths' Quantum Mechanics, it is a brilliant book but it is best to focus on mastering analytical mechanics and EM first. The problems in Griffiths are generally easier than those in Purcell, and Principles of Electrodynamics by Melvin Schwarz is also a good book to consider for a more mathematically sophisticated approach. Zangwill's book is also highly recommended for a better understanding and intuition of Electrodynamics.
Radarithm
Gold Member
What would be a good mechanics book after K&K that includes Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics? Also, would Griffiths' Electrodynamics be suitable after Purcell? What about Griffiths' Quantum Mechanics (ignoring the math pre-reqs)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Radarithm said:
What would be a good mechanics book after K&K that includes Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics? Also, would Griffiths' Electrodynamics be suitable after Purcell? What about Griffiths' Quantum Mechanics (ignoring the math pre-reqs)?

For mechanics, I think Taylor is pretty nice: https://www.amazon.com/dp/189138922X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Griffith's Electrodynamics is a very good book. Some call it one of the best physics textbooks ever written, so yes: do that after Purcell.

I'm not really a fan of Griffith's QM, but others seem to like it a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Radarithm said:
What would be a good mechanics book after K&K that includes Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics?

Calkin, Taylor, Greiner, Thornton and Marion are but a few (although I hate Thornton and Marion with a passion).

Radarithm said:
Also, would Griffiths' Electrodynamics be suitable after Purcell?

If you can, try your best to do them concurrently. This is the most efficient way to use Griffiths if you have Purcell. That way you can move on to more advanced EM texts (e.g. Jackson) without wasting extra time because Griffiths is only a hair's width more advanced than Purcell in terms of material covered.

Radarithm said:
What about Griffiths' Quantum Mechanics (ignoring the math pre-reqs)?

What about it? It's a brilliant QM book but you should focus on mastering analytical mechanics and EM first.

Likes poseidon721 and Radarithm
Based on what I've read, I'm going to get Taylor, Gregory, and Griffiths E&M, QM can wait. Thanks for the help!

By the way, how do the problems in Griffiths compare (in difficulty) with those in Purcell? I'd be lucky to solve 3 2 star problems in Purcell (2nd Ed. When Morin added more problems). It reminds me of his intro to CM book, which really drove me crazy. In a good way.

Edit: I asked this because WannabeNewton said its a tad harder when it comes to material (which I'm fine with) but that doesn't necessarily mean harder questions (or does it?).

Last edited:
Radarithm said:
By the way, how do the problems in Griffiths compare (in difficulty) with those in Purcell?

Griffiths problems are on the whole easier but not by much, at least for me personally.

Principles of Electrodynamics by Melvin Schwarz is a good book that is not nearly as difficult as Jackson but much more mathematically sophisticated than either Griffiths or Purcell. Personally, I think Jackson is only OK. Zangwill is a much better graduate level E&M book than anything (including Jackson) on the market. Jackson is mainly concerned with showing you that he knows a lot of math. Zangwill is concerned with giving you insight into Electrodynamics and developing your intuition through examples, applications, and excellent pedagogy.

1. What is the next step after reading Kleppner and Purcell?

After reading Kleppner and Purcell, the next step is to apply the concepts and principles learned in real-world situations or experiments. This will help solidify your understanding and develop practical skills.

2. Are there any recommended resources to supplement Kleppner and Purcell?

Yes, there are many supplementary resources available such as online lectures, practice problems, and textbooks. Some popular options include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson.

3. How can I continue to improve my understanding of electromagnetism after Kleppner and Purcell?

Continuing to read and learn about electromagnetism through other textbooks, articles, and research papers is a great way to deepen your understanding. You can also attend seminars, workshops, or join discussion groups to engage with other scientists and exchange ideas.

4. What practical applications can I explore after studying Kleppner and Purcell?

Kleppner and Purcell covers the fundamentals of electromagnetism, which have numerous practical applications. Some examples include designing electronic circuits, understanding the behavior of electric motors and generators, and developing new technologies such as wireless charging and magnetic levitation.

5. How can I prepare for advanced studies in electromagnetism after Kleppner and Purcell?

In addition to continuing to study and practice electromagnetism, it is helpful to become familiar with advanced mathematical concepts such as vector calculus and differential equations. It is also beneficial to gain hands-on experience through research projects or internships in related fields.