Recording Sound: Building a Device with Battery Power

• Thread starter Willem De Wit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary: Greetings,I'm aiming to create a device (as small as possible), powered by a battery, that will allow me to record one single sound, and then play that sound back when a button is pressed. It's been about 15 years since I took physics in high school, and I've no idea where to start. Any help (links?) would be greatly appreciated :)
Willem De Wit
Greetings,

I'm aiming to create a device (as small as possible), powered by a battery, that will allow me to record one single sound, and then play that sound back when a button is pressed.

It's been about 15 years since I took physics in high school, and I've no idea where to start.

Any help (links?) would be greatly appreciated :)

Willem

Engineering news on Phys.org
Willem De Wit said:
Any help (links?) would be greatly appreciated :)

Willem
If it's not a complex sound, such as a spoken word, it might be easier to just synthesize it rather than record it. Do you want to be able to change it at will? Is the button to be remote, or part of the package? More details would be helpful. You can get very small digital memo recorders quite cheaply now.

Danger,

One spoken word is my aim. The ability to change it would be nice, but I think it would be better to keep it simple (for now). The button would be part of the package.

Height is the dimension I am most concerned about. The width and length of the total package could be 5-10 centimeters each, but the height would need to be as small as possible.

Sounds like a practical joke in the making. :biggrin:
I don't have time or resources right now (have to go to work in a few minutes), but I'll snoop around later and see what's available.

Actually, it's for gaming purposes :)

so you would be looking for a IC that can take the output from a microphone , digitize it and play it back..

If you only need to record spoken words, you have simplified your problem immensely.

The human voice to be comprehensible only needs a range of between 1Khz and about 5Khz. You don't need superfast slew rates or hi-fidelity microphones.

The main component can dual as both a microphone and a speaker: Use a piezo-electric disk (found in almost any hobby/electronic supply co.) as both. If you want added quality of recorded sound you can use a second pressure-crystal as is found in acoustic guitar pickups that snaps onto the wood of an instrument.

Interestingly, you could look at talking dolls to see what they are using these days. I would'nt be surprised to find a pre-made IC chip that does everything and only needs a battery connector and a piezo-pickup and housing designed to work as a mini-speaker cabinet.

These already exist, and you can buy them in greeting cards. You press a button, say a message, and then the card's recipient can play it back. Don't bother trying to make your own.

- Warren

Good idea (greeting cards). Found some for $3.99.

These Voice Pads might do the trick as well. Found some for $7.99.

I bet they both use the same kind of system, so I'll try the cheaper greeting card system first and see if it'll work for me.

Last edited:
Well that's just too cool! The only talking cards ever sold in my town are pre-recorded. Never even heard of recordable ones or the pad things. They're probably available in the city, but I don't go there much.

p.s. if you're not satisfied with the bass response of greeting-card kits try gluing one to a small wood box or shoebox. Use a stiff glue like epoxy.

1. What materials are needed to build a device for recording sound with battery power?

To build a recording device with battery power, you will need a microphone, a battery source (such as a 9-volt battery), a circuit board, resistors, capacitors, wires, and a casing to hold all the components together.

2. How does the microphone capture sound?

The microphone converts sound waves into electrical signals by using a diaphragm that moves in response to the sound waves. This movement creates changes in electrical current that are then amplified and recorded by the device.

3. What type of battery is best for a sound recording device?

A 9-volt battery is commonly used for sound recording devices as it provides enough power to run the circuit and can easily be replaced when needed. However, other types of batteries such as AA or AAA can also be used depending on the design of the device.

4. How does the circuit board work in a sound recording device?

The circuit board acts as the brain of the recording device. It connects all the components together and controls the flow of electricity to make the device function properly. The circuit board also amplifies and filters the electrical signals from the microphone to produce high-quality sound recordings.

5. Can I modify the design of a sound recording device to fit my specific needs?

Yes, the design of a sound recording device can be modified to suit individual needs. You can adjust the circuit board, type of battery, and other components to achieve a specific sound quality or to make the device more portable or durable. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of electronics and circuitry before attempting any modifications.