Finding Exact Value of Trig Function with Half-Angle Formula

In summary, we can use the Half-Angle Formulas to find the exact value of the trig function sec(15pi/8) by first finding cos(15pi/8) and then using the formula cos(alpha/
Chop235
I am stuck on this problem:

It tells me to use the Half-Angle Formulas to find the exact value of the trig function.

sec((15*pi)/8)

I know I should convert that into the cos function and when I do I get:

cos(8/(15*pi))

But now I need to find cos(alpha/2) to be able to use the Half-Angle formula. I think what I can do is multiply it by 2 and then that would be my alpha, then I could just plug it in right? So then I would have:

cos((16/(15*pi))/2)

I am not sure if this is right so far or if I am even on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can see:

sec(15*pi/8)
= sec(2pi - pi/8)
= sec(pi/8)

Chop235 said:
I am stuck on this problem:
It tells me to use the Half-Angle Formulas to find the exact value of the trig function.
sec((15*pi)/8)
I know I should convert that into the cos function and when I do I get:
cos(8/(15*pi))
NO! sec x= 1/(cos(x)) not cos(1/x)!
But now I need to find cos(alpha/2) to be able to use the Half-Angle formula. I think what I can do is multiply it by 2 and then that would be my alpha, then I could just plug it in right? So then I would have:
cos((16/(15*pi))/2)
I am not sure if this is right so far or if I am even on the right track.

Use the Half-Angle Formula alright but to go the other way!
sec(15pi/8)= 1/cos(15pi/8) so you just need to find cos(15pi/8)
That is [tex]cos(15pi/8)= \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}(1+ cos(15pi/4))}[/tex].
cos(15pi/4) is easy.

1. How do you use the half-angle formula to find the exact value of a trigonometric function?

To use the half-angle formula to find the exact value of a trigonometric function, you will first need to identify the given function as either a sine, cosine, or tangent. Then, substitute the given angle into the appropriate half-angle formula and simplify the equation to find the exact value.

2. What is the half-angle formula for sine?

The half-angle formula for sine is sin(x/2) = ±√[(1-cosx)/2], where x is the given angle.

3. How do you determine which sign to use in the half-angle formula?

The sign to use in the half-angle formula depends on the quadrant in which the given angle lies. If the given angle lies in the first or fourth quadrant, use the positive sign. If the given angle lies in the second or third quadrant, use the negative sign.

4. Can the half-angle formula be used for all trigonometric functions?

No, the half-angle formula can only be used for sine, cosine, and tangent. There are separate formulas for finding the half-angle of cosecant, secant, and cotangent functions.

5. Are there any special cases when using the half-angle formula?

Yes, there are two special cases when using the half-angle formula. The first is when the given angle is equal to 0, in which case the half-angle will also be 0. The second is when the given angle is equal to π/2, in which case the half-angle will be undefined.