Calculating Electric Flux for a Point Charge in a Cube

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric flux through one side of a cube with a 1.3microC point charge at its center. The solution involves simplifying the problem to a sphere, using the equations for electric field and flux, and dividing by six due to the varying surface area and electric field.
K3nt70

Homework Statement

A 1.3microC point charge is placed at the center of a cube with a volume of 9.8m^3. Calculate the electric flux through one side of the cube.

Homework Equations

E = [tex]\frac{k*q}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]\Phi[/tex] = E*A

The Attempt at a Solution

So what i was trying was this:

I cube root the volume of the cube. This gives me the length of any side since its a cube. So then, i calculate E where k = 9.0E9 q = 1.3E-6 and r = 1.07 (this is half of one length of one side). I then put E back into the electric flux equation where A is (2.14^2)*6 (the total surface area of the cube) i then take my answer and divide by 6 to get the flux for one side which comes out to 4.68E4 N*m^2/C which is incorrect. I am thinking I've made a mistake calculating the Electric field (the r value specifically, since it isn't really constant. ie if we wanted to know the flux in the corner of the cube, we would need to use trig to get the r value. But i can't see what else the r value would be.) A little direction would be great :D

my picture (not given):
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1397/chargeyp3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My advice is to think in terms of electric field lines.
In order to avoid crazy integrals, simplify the problem to a sphere.
Solve for the flux on a sphere of arbitrary radius, then divide by six.
You see, the surface area of a sphere varies with r2, whereas the E-field varies as r-2, which cancel.

Fantasic, i got it right. Thanks!

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. It is given by the equation Φ = E * A * cosθ, where E is the electric field, A is the surface area, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface normal.

What is meant by "one side" in electric flux?

In the context of electric flux, "one side" refers to the direction of the electric field with respect to the surface. If the electric field is passing through the surface in one direction, it is considered to be one-sided electric flux.

How does one-sided electric flux differ from two-sided electric flux?

One-sided electric flux only accounts for the electric field passing through the surface in one direction, while two-sided electric flux takes into account the electric field passing through the surface in both directions. This is represented by the positive and negative signs in the calculation of electric flux.

What are some real-world applications of electric flux?

Electric flux is used in a variety of fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and astronomy. Some examples of its application include studying the behavior of electric fields in capacitors, calculating the electric field around a charged object, and understanding the magnetic fields of stars and galaxies.