Design a Pendulum Experiment for Grade 12 Physics

In summary, the person is looking for a way to accurately measure the oscillation for a pendulum experiment. They were considering using a stopwatch, but it would require a long period. They also mentioned the idea of a coupled pendulum experiment. Another person suggested timing multiple periods and using the frequency of the envelope to determine the difference in frequencies of the individual pendula. The original person asks if this would require measuring each period for both pendulums and if there are any guidelines for the distance between the pendulums. Other ideas were mentioned but are not confirmed to work.
garageband
Hi I'm supposed to come up with a design for a pendulum experiment. I have most of the design figured out but in regards to measuring the oscillation I don't know how to do it accurately aside from using a stopwatch to measure the oscillation(in which case the period would have to be really long). Also, with the pendulum experiment I was thinking of doing a coupled pendulum experiment as well or would it be too difficult. Thanks, btw, I'm in grade 12 I'm doing this as part of my Physics Experiment project.

Physics news on Phys.org
Time lots of periods (say 30 to 100) with your stopwatch. Get the duration of one period by dividing by the total number of periods.

Okay that would make sense but is there another alternative because if I were to do that with the coupled Pendulum experiment I honestly don't know how I would go about doing it.

http://www.theorphys.science.ru.nl/people/fasolino/sub_java/pendula/doublependul-en.shtml

I'm not sure this will work, just guessing. Anyway, it seems that if you let one pendulum go with the other at rest, the other pendulum will also oscillate, and the amplitude of its oscillations will also oscillate (ie. its amplitude will get bigger then smaller then bigger, let's call this this the "envelope"). You could time the periods of the pendula separately, and also time the period(s) of the envelope (seeing where it goes to zero is probably easier than seeing where it becomes largest). From all these periods you can get their frequencies. Apparently the frequency of the envelope is related to the difference in frequencies of the individual pendula.

atyy said:
http://www.theorphys.science.ru.nl/people/fasolino/sub_java/pendula/doublependul-en.shtml

I'm not sure this will work, just guessing. Anyway, it seems that if you let one pendulum go with the other at rest, the other pendulum will also oscillate, and the amplitude of its oscillations will also oscillate (ie. its amplitude will get bigger then smaller then bigger, let's call this this the "envelope"). You could time the periods of the pendula separately, and also time the period(s) of the envelope (seeing where it goes to zero is probably easier than seeing where it becomes largest). From all these periods you can get their frequencies. Apparently the frequency of the envelope is related to the difference in frequencies of the individual pendula.

Thanks for your feedback. Well I will try it out if I get the design part working, but wouldn't this mean I'd have to measure the oscillation for each time or rather each period of the oscillation and for both of the pendulums? That would mean around 4 measurements for each period? Also in regards to the spring between the two pendulums, is there a certain distance in which it has to be proportional to the length of the string or no? I'm open to other ideas as well as how to approach this thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a pendulum experiment?

A pendulum experiment is a physics experiment that involves studying the motion of a pendulum, which is a weight or object suspended from a fixed point that swings back and forth due to the force of gravity. This experiment can help to demonstrate principles of motion, gravity, and energy.

2. How do you design a pendulum experiment for Grade 12 Physics?

To design a pendulum experiment for Grade 12 Physics, you will need to determine a research question or objective, choose the materials and equipment needed, set up the experiment, collect data, and analyze the results. You should also consider variables such as the length of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the mass of the weight.

3. What are some potential sources of error in a pendulum experiment?

Some potential sources of error in a pendulum experiment include air resistance, friction in the pivot point, and human error in measuring the length of the pendulum or timing the swings. These errors can affect the accuracy of the data and the results of the experiment.

4. How can you ensure accuracy and reliability in a pendulum experiment?

To ensure accuracy and reliability in a pendulum experiment, it is important to control variables as much as possible, use precise and calibrated equipment, take multiple measurements, and calculate averages. It is also helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and compare the results to check for consistency.

5. What are some possible applications of a pendulum experiment?

Pendulum experiments have many applications in real-world situations. They can be used to study the effects of gravity and motion, determine the acceleration due to gravity, and test the principles of energy conservation. They are also used in fields such as engineering, seismology, and timekeeping.