What is the approximate diameter of an oil molecule?

In summary, the size of an oil molecule can be estimated by letting an oil droplet with a mass of 8.85 × 10^−7 kg and a density of 923 kg/m3 spread out on a water surface to form a circle with a radius of 43.2 cm. Using the formula π*r^2*d = mass/density, the approximate diameter of an oil molecule is 1.635x10-9m.
xxcherry06xx
You can obtain a rough estimate of the size of a molecule with the following simple experiment: Let a droplet of oil spread out on a fairly large but smooth water surface. The resulting ”oil slick” that forms on the surface of the water will be approximately one molecule
thick.
Given an oil droplet with a mass of 8.85 × 10^−7 kg and a density of 923 kg/m3 that spreads out to form a circle with a radius of 43.2 cm on the water surface, what is the approximate diameter of an oil molecule?
Answer in units of m.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi xxcherry06xx, welcome to PF.

Volume = mass / density.

π*r^2*d = mass/density, where d is the diameter of the molecule.

Substitute the values and find d.

I tried that but I still can't get the right answer. I keep getting 0.000000002 but it's saying it's not right on my homework.

xxcherry06xx said:
I tried that but I still can't get the right answer. I keep getting 0.000000002 but it's saying it's not right on my homework.

I am getting 1.635x10-9m.

Okay I will try it thank you! I have one more question for you... it is a picture because i don't know how to type it html style but the link is..

http://yfrog.com/jv42157278p

I assumed it was the sum of xi = 4.9 i + 6.06 where i =1 then take that answer and ^4.
I don't know what else that equation can mean? Can you please help.?

xxcherry06xx said:
Okay I will try it thank you! I have one more question for you... it is a picture because i don't know how to type it html style but the link is..

http://yfrog.com/jv42157278p

I assumed it was the sum of xi = 4.9 i + 6.06 where i =1 then take that answer and ^4.
I don't know what else that equation can mean? Can you please help.?

x1 = 4.9*1 + 6.06

x2 = 4.9*2 + 6.06

Continue till i = 4, simplify and add all.

1. How big is an oil molecule?

The approximate diameter of an oil molecule is around 2 to 10 nanometers, depending on the type of oil.

2. Is the diameter of an oil molecule consistent?

No, the diameter of an oil molecule can vary depending on the type of oil and its composition.

3. How is the diameter of an oil molecule measured?

The diameter of an oil molecule is measured using advanced techniques such as atomic force microscopy or scanning electron microscopy.

4. Can the diameter of an oil molecule change?

Yes, the diameter of an oil molecule can change in certain conditions, such as when it is exposed to high temperatures or pressure.

5. What is the diameter of an oil molecule compared to other molecules?

The diameter of an oil molecule is relatively small compared to other molecules, such as proteins or DNA, which can have diameters up to several nanometers.