How do differentials really work?

In summary, differentials are mechanical devices used in vehicles to allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds while still receiving power from the engine. They work by using a set of gears to distribute torque to each wheel, allowing for smooth turning and preventing damage to the drivetrain. Different types of differentials, such as open, limited slip, and locking differentials, offer varying levels of control and traction in different driving conditions. Overall, differentials are crucial components in modern vehicles that allow for efficient and safe operation.
Bipolarity
I have quite some trouble thinking why we are allowed to manipulate differentials as we see fit when solving differential equations. I usually think of the derivative as the fundamental object upon which differentials are based. With this in mind I wince when I see derivatives appear separately, as in separation of variables when solving differential equations.

For example, consider [itex] \frac {dy}{dx} = ky [/itex]
We would "separate" the variables as follows: [itex] \frac {dy}{y} = k dx [/itex]
And then we would integrate both sides... [itex] \int \frac {dy}{y} = \int k dx[/itex]

What I don't understand is what allows us to separate the variables... since when are we allowed to multiply and divide both sides of an equation by a differential? I thought differentials were not like normal numbers, and you're not allowed to play with them unless some theorem specifically allows you to do so?
Also, why are we allowed to integrate both sides of the equation with respect to different variables?

I appreciate any help/advice. Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
Also, why are we allowed to integrate both sides of the equation with respect to different variables?

You're not really integrating the y side in terms of y, because y and dy are functions of x. You're using substitution. For example, if [tex]y=C e^{k x}[/tex], then [tex]\frac{dy}{y}=\frac{C k e^{k x} dx}{C e^{k x}}=k dx[/tex].

As for the rest. I'm as lost as you are. I had a thread on this a long time ago. I'm looking for it now.

Roughly speaking, the idea is this: the derivative is defined as
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}(a)= lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)- f(a)}{x- a}[/tex]
so that, while the derivative is NOT a fraction, it is the limit of a fraction. You can prove that the derivative "acts" like a fraction, has all the fraction properties, by going back before the limit, using the fraction property and then taking the limit again. That is why we define "dx" and "dy" symbolically and treat dy/dx as a fraction.

There are, of course, also perfectly sound ways of treating differentials as actual quantities in nonstandard analysis. And they often have some pedagogical value, like Silvanus Thompson's wonderful book Calculus Made Easy, or if you prefer a more rigorous version Keisler's Elementary Calculus, available free online: http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html

Separation of variables can be explained by the chain rule. If your differential equation is [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = f(x)/g(y) [/tex] (in your example, f(x)=k and g(y)=1/y) then we can write
[tex] g(y) \frac{dy}{dx} dx = f(x)[/tex]
These are both functions of x (because g(y) = g(y(x))). So integrate them both
[tex] \int g(y) \frac{dy}{dx} dx = \int f(x)dx[/tex]
and the result follows from noting that
[tex] \int g(y(x)) \frac{dy}{dx} dx = \int g(y)dy[/tex]
by doing integration by parts (with the substitution y=y(x)).
Then you can consider the act of separating the variables as just a mnemonic shortcut to avoid a lot of notation

As someone said here, dy and dx are limit cases of difference values. They are still differences after all and behaving as fraction. dy/dx just happened to be a famous notation that appears as it is in the books.

FAlonso said:
As someone said here, dy and dx are limit cases of difference values. They are still differences after all and behaving as fraction. dy/dx just happened to be a famous notation that appears as it is in the books.

Right.

So the equation is true with arbitrary accuracy/arbitrarily small error for very small values of delta x and delta y and there for it is correct to manipulate them as fractions and correct to equate the integrals. One just needs to remember that these equation are true with arbitrarily small error.

Last edited:
lavinia said:
Right.

So the equation is true with arbitrary accuracy/arbitrarily small error for very small values of delta x and delta y and there for it is correct to manipulate them as fractions and correct to equate the integrals. One just needs to remember that these equation are true with arbitrarily small error.

This seems to casual to me. while dy/dx is a limit, dx and dy are not the limits of anything. I've seen dx and dy defined as real valued variables related by:

dy = (dy/dx) dx

I agree with pondhockey here.

(Though not necessarily with resurecting a thread from three and a half months ago!)

HallsofIvy said:
I agree with pondhockey here.

(Though not necessarily with resurecting a thread from three and a half months ago!)

For which I apologize. If it helps the cause, here is a location (as newbie I can't post a link yet) that explains differentials in action, in the context of thermodynamic equations.

//www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=525071&highlight=differential

1. How does a differential function?

A differential is a mechanical device that allows the wheels of a vehicle to rotate at different speeds while still receiving power from the engine. It is made up of a set of gears that distribute torque from the engine to the wheels.

2. What is the purpose of a differential?

The main purpose of a differential is to allow a vehicle to make turns smoothly by allowing the wheels on the outside of the turn to rotate faster than the wheels on the inside. It also helps to evenly distribute power to all wheels and prevents unnecessary wear and tear on the tires and other drivetrain components.

3. How does a differential work in 4-wheel drive vehicles?

In 4-wheel drive vehicles, the differential works similarly to those in 2-wheel drive vehicles. However, there are typically two differentials - one for the front axle and one for the rear. This allows for each set of wheels to rotate at different speeds while still receiving power from the engine.

4. What is the difference between an open and a limited slip differential?

An open differential allows for one wheel to spin freely while the other receives power, making it easier to turn. A limited slip differential uses clutches or other mechanisms to limit the speed difference between the two wheels, providing better traction and control in slippery or uneven terrain.

5. How can I tell if my differential is malfunctioning?

Some signs of a malfunctioning differential include strange noises, difficulty turning, uneven tire wear, and decreased performance. If you notice any of these issues, it is best to have your vehicle inspected by a mechanic to determine if there is a problem with the differential.