Sequence resulting from evenly dividing a line

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a non-recursive formula for a given sequence and how it relates to a programming problem. Various code examples and formulas were provided to solve the practical issue. The final formula for the sequence is a fraction a/p, with p=2^ceiling(ln(n) / ln(2)) and a=2n-p-1.
3ToedSloth
Hi, I'm new here and, as will become obvious from my question, neither a phycisist nor a mathematician. This is not a homework question, so I post it in this forum and hope that's okay. (I've aready asked on stack exchange but as far as I can see the answers given to me there were describing a different sequence.)

I need to find a non-recursive formula for determining the members of the sequence that starts as follows:

[itex]a_1=0,\; a_2=\frac{1}{2},\; a_3=\frac{1}{4},\; a_4=\frac{3}{4},\; a_5=\frac{1}{8},\; a_6=\frac{3}{8},\; a_7=\frac{5}{8},\; a_8=\frac{7}{8},\; a_9=\frac{1}{16}, ...[/itex]

Imagine a line that is subsequently divided into more fine-grained segments by dividing all of the previous segments, going from left to right. (For the record, it's in fact a programming problem. I need to split up a large chunk of memory into separate areas on the basis of a given number of tasks, and this number may change dynamically at runtime.)

I cannot even find a proper recursive definition. So far I've only come up with this: If [itex]n-1[/itex] is a power of two, then [itex]a_n=\frac{1}{2n-2}[/itex].

But I simply can't figure out how to get the values in-between like 3/4, 3/8, 5/8, 7/8, 3/16, ... and combine everything into one simple formula. It's driving me nuts. :eek:

P.S.: In case this is really the wrong place to ask (it's not exactly about top-notch research in theoretical physics), I'd be happy for pointers to other places to ask these kind of questions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I personally cannot understand your question. The sequence given makes no sense to me at all. An illustration of what you are actually trying to do on the line might help.

Hello, 3ToedSloth,
you want a fraction a/p, with p=2^ceiling(ln(n) / ln(2)) and a=2n-p-1. (The "^" represents exponentiation here.)

How to translate that into a computer program without precision problems is another story. If the calculation of ln(n) / ln(2) gives you 3.00001, for example, when 3 was the theoretical result, you don't want the ceiling function moving 3.00001 to 4.

"p" (the denominator) is meant to represent the smallest power of 2 that is larger or equal to "n". Rather than using floating-point logarithms, in a computer language that can handle bitwise operations you will be better served by the following algorithm:

* count how many right-shifts it takes to make "n" become 0; call that count "c".
* shift the number 1 by c-1 positions to the left; call the result "p".
* if p=n, then n was a power of 2 to begin with, and you want that value of "p". Otherwise, you want twice that value (left-shift "p" one more time).

Here is a C++ example (port to your favorite flavor): given a value for "n",
Code:
int c = 0;
for (int b = n; b > 0; b >>= 1)
        c++;
int p = 1 << (c-1);
if (p != n)
        p <<= 1;
int a = 2*n - p - 1;
cout << a << "/" << p << endl;

Last edited:
I've drawn an image an hope that makes it clearer. Blue numbers are input, green numbers are output. It's looks like a binary search tree.

http://postimage.org/image/byt1pn8s7/

Edit: The last line got messed up a bit. The distances should always be the same, of course.

Last edited:
Python example, if C++ or bit manipulation are not your thing. (If Python isn't either, it is easier to read as pseudo-code.)
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python

class Fraction:
	def __init__(self, n):
		c = 0
		b = n
		while b > 0:
			b /= 2
			c += 1
		c -= 1
		p = 1
		while c > 0:
			p *= 2
			c -= 1
		if p != n:
			p *= 2

self._p = p
		self._a = 2*n - p - 1

def __str__(self):
		return '{0}/{1}'.format(self._a, self._p)

for n in range(1, 18):
	print n, Fraction(n)

Or, lastly, hack around the eventual precision problems.
Code:
from math import *
for n in range(1,18):
    p = int(pow(2, ceil(log(n)/log(2) - 0.001)) + 0.5)
    a = 2*n - p - 1
    print n, a, '/', p

Thanks a lot, Dodo!

I'm still interested in the actual formula for the sequence, but your great code examples have solved my practical programming problem. :cool:

3ToedSloth said:
Thanks a lot, Dodo!

I'm still interested in the actual formula for the sequence, but your great code examples have solved my practical programming problem. :cool:

He gave the actual formula in the beginning of post 3.

you want a fraction a/p, with p=2^ceiling(ln(n) / ln(2)) and a=2n-p-1. (The "^" represents exponentiation here.)

It's far from pretty. But I don't think you'll get it any nicer.

1. What is the definition of "evenly dividing a line"?

Evenly dividing a line refers to dividing a straight line into equal segments or parts.

2. How is the sequence resulting from evenly dividing a line calculated?

The sequence resulting from evenly dividing a line is calculated by dividing the total length of the line by the number of segments.

3. What is the formula for finding the length of each segment in a sequence resulting from evenly dividing a line?

The formula for finding the length of each segment is: total length of line / number of segments = length of each segment.

4. Can the sequence resulting from evenly dividing a line have an infinite number of segments?

No, the number of segments must be a whole number and cannot be infinite.

5. How is the sequence resulting from evenly dividing a line used in real-life applications?

The sequence resulting from evenly dividing a line is used in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and architecture to accurately measure and divide distances. It is also used in creating scale models and designs.