What kind of telescope is this

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Ricky Williams
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the person has a solid brass scope with a solid brass tripod and is looking for information on it. They cannot find any markings on it and are interested in restoring it. They are hoping to get advice on how to properly clean and polish it without taking away any historical value. The scope seems to be of top quality and has a distance of 38.5" from the lens to the eyepiece, with a lens diameter of 2.5".
Ricky Williams
I have a scope that I'm trying to find some info on. It's a solid brass scope with a solid brass tripod. I can't find ANY markings, letters, numbers etc. anywhere...at all.

image.jpg

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Looks like some kind of small refractor.
What makes you interested in it?

hey Ricky

welcome to PF

what an awesome looking old refractor. You have a wonderful project and challenge there to clean and polish it up and restore it to its former glory.
you could measure the objective lens diameter ... its the big lens at the front of the scope under that cap
then you could also measure the distance from that lens to the eyepiece

I'm looking forward to seeing new pics of it bright and shining. Next time do an outside photo of it in good light and make sure you upload the pic proper side up :wink:
Will be interested to hear how the optics look, hopefully still in good condition. Does it have an eyepiece ?

rgds
Dave

looks something like this one for sale:

http://indiannautical.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/111753484-101879309/Brass_font_b_Telescope_b_font__font_b_Nautical_b_font_font_b_Telescope_b_font__font_b_Antique_b_font_font_b_Telescopes_b_font_.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply's to this post. As far as the interest, this was given to me a couple months ago and it looks like it may have some historical value to it. I would like to clean it up to make it look new but without knowing a little more about what I have, I'm afraid I'll take away that history. It seems to be a top quality made scope. Not sure if it would be made the way it is for a decoration piece but maybe that is the way it's done, I don't have a clue.

I'll try to take some better photos and put them up. I couldn't get the last ones to work the way I wanted.

The distance from the lens to the eyepiece is 38.5", the lens is 2.5".

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a telescope?

A telescope is a tool used for observing and magnifying distant objects in the night sky. It collects and focuses light, making objects appear larger and clearer, allowing us to see objects that are too far away or too small to be seen with the naked eye.

2. What are the different types of telescopes?

There are three main types of telescopes: refracting, reflecting, and catadioptric. Refracting telescopes use lenses to gather and focus light, while reflecting telescopes use mirrors. Catadioptric telescopes use a combination of lenses and mirrors to gather and focus light.

3. How do I know which type of telescope is right for me?

The type of telescope that is best for you depends on your viewing preferences and budget. Refracting telescopes are best for viewing planets and stars, while reflecting telescopes are better for viewing faint objects like galaxies and nebulae. Catadioptric telescopes are a good compromise between the two. Consider your viewing goals and budget before making a decision.

4. How do I choose the right magnification for my telescope?

Magnification is determined by the focal length of the telescope and the eyepiece being used. To calculate the magnification, divide the focal length of the telescope by the focal length of the eyepiece. For most objects, a magnification of 50x to 100x is recommended. Higher magnifications may result in a blurry image.

5. How do I maintain and care for my telescope?

To keep your telescope in good working condition, it is important to regularly clean the lenses or mirrors, store it in a dry and dust-free environment, and handle it with care. Avoid touching the lenses or mirrors with your fingers, and use a soft cloth or brush specifically made for telescopes to clean them. It is also recommended to cover the telescope when not in use to protect it from dust and debris.