RC circuit with Schmitt trigger - Derivation

In summary, a Schmitt trigger can be used in an RC circuit to determine the capacitance of the capacitor. The equation given was that C = 1.2 R \ T (time period)
blueink
In lectures I covered how a Schmitt trigger can be used in an RC circuit to determine the capacitance of the capacitor (Where the Schmitt trigger switches at 0.3V+ and 0.6V+). The equation given was that C = 1.2 R \ T (time period)

Does anyone know how to derive this or where it comes from? My lecture notes do not explain it.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Please attach the schematic of a circuit appropriate to this discussion. I expect you will see that the charging path for the capacitor is a resistor connected to the output of the Schmit comparator.

Simply use RC equation witch describe the voltage across the cap in charging and in discarding phase and solve for period T. And from there you can solve for C also.

I was using such a circuit to introduce a time delay. Since I was working at Motorola, I was using Motorola Schmidt triggers and Motorola claimed the specifications of all their ICs were 6 sigma qualified. Nevertheless the time delays of the circuit seemed to cluster around two different values. Testing the Schmidt triggers I discovered the switching voltages had two different values. I called the Semiconductor Division and asked how something like that could happen if the parts were all 6 sigma. I was told the switching voltages were not a 6 sigma spec. and not even tested. Lesson: Don't depend on Schmidt triggers for precise switching points.

I expect the motorolla data sheet did not specify min and or max switching voltage going positive and going negative. Generally you get one or the other, or typicals. So what does a 6 sigma typical mean? Or a 6 sigma max means it can be anything less than that.

For precise switching points you want comparators or opamps with a good reference voltage. (or even a 555)

As I recall it did and that's why I was surprised when they told me it was not a 6 sigma spec. and that it wasn't even tested. I no longer recall exactly which Schmidt trigger I used and there are a lot of different ones available, but I checked a few datasheets and most do give the switching voltages.

I used a Schmidt trigger because I had an extra one on the board and the delay didn't need to be precise. Yes there are a lot of ways to introduce a time delay but I'm saying that a Schmidt trigger is not a good solution if you need a somewhat precise delay as in measuring the values of capacitors.

They, at best, give a range in terms of min/typ/max and the actual switching can be anywhere within that range. I doubt you can find a spec sheet that defines a precise switching point. You can't get that for a simple gate, much less a schmitt trigger.

1. What is an RC circuit with Schmitt trigger?

An RC circuit with Schmitt trigger is an electronic circuit that combines a resistor-capacitor (RC) circuit with a Schmitt trigger, which is a type of comparator. This circuit is commonly used for signal conditioning and noise filtering in electronic circuits.

2. How does the Schmitt trigger work in an RC circuit?

The Schmitt trigger in an RC circuit works by comparing the input voltage to two threshold levels. When the input voltage exceeds the upper threshold, the output of the Schmitt trigger switches to a high state. Similarly, when the input voltage falls below the lower threshold, the output switches to a low state. This allows for the creation of a stable output signal from a noisy input signal.

3. What is the purpose of the RC circuit in this circuit?

The RC circuit in an RC circuit with Schmitt trigger serves as a low-pass filter, which helps to smooth out any noise or fluctuations in the input signal. This allows for a cleaner and more stable input signal for the Schmitt trigger to compare to the threshold levels.

4. What is the derivation of the output voltage in an RC circuit with Schmitt trigger?

The derivation of the output voltage in an RC circuit with Schmitt trigger involves analyzing the charging and discharging of the capacitor in the RC circuit. This can be done using Kirchhoff's laws and basic circuit analysis techniques.

5. Can an RC circuit with Schmitt trigger be used for digital signal processing?

Yes, an RC circuit with Schmitt trigger can be used for digital signal processing. The output of the Schmitt trigger can be considered as a digital signal, with the high and low states corresponding to digital 1 and 0, respectively. This can be useful for applications such as signal conditioning and threshold detection in digital systems.