Condition for ODE Solutions with Variation of Parameters

In summary, the problem is trying to find a solution to a third order equation that has solutions (to the homogeneous equation) y_1(x), y_2(x), y_3(x). Differentiating again, \alpha(x)'y_1'(x)+\beta'(x)y_2'(x)+\gamma'(x)y_3'(x)+\alpha(x)y_1"(x)+\beta(x)y_2"(x)+\gamma(x)y_3"(x) doesn't work because the condition is that \alpha(x)'y_1'(x)+\beta'
twoflower
Hi,

I just started playing with higher order ODEs and I'm stuck in one particular step. Here it is:

[tex]
y^{''} + y = \frac{1}{\cos x}
[/tex]

1. step: I find fundamental solution system, which in this case is

[tex]
[\cos x, \sin x]
[/tex]

So general solution looks like this:

[tex]
y(x) = \alpha\cos x + \beta \sin x
[/tex]

Using the method of variation of parameters, [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] become functions of x:

[tex]
y(x) = \alpha(x)\cos x + \beta(x) \sin x
[/tex]

[tex]
y'(x) = \alpha^{'}(x)\cos x - \alpha(x)\sin x + \beta^{'}(x) \sin x + \beta(x) \cos x
[/tex]

Now I don't understand the condition

[tex]
\alpha^{'}(x)\cos x + \beta^{'}(x) \sin x = 0
[/tex]

Why does it have to be so?

Thanks for explanation!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you know it has to be something right? I mean:

[tex]\alpha^{'}(x)Cos(x)+\beta^{'}(x)Sin(x)=g(x)[/tex]

Tell you what though, let's just make g(x) equal to the zero function and just see what happens. No harm in that right? I mean we're not talking asteriods or nothing? If we do, the math is certainly much easier when the second derivative is calculated and all the subsequent arithmetic is valid and we end up with a valid answer.

Works for me.

saltydog said:
Well you know it has to be something right? I mean:
[tex]\alpha^{'}(x)Cos(x)+\beta^{'}(x)Sin(x)=g(x)[/tex]
Tell you what though, let's just make g(x) equal to the zero function and just see what happens. No harm in that right? I mean we're not talking asteriods or nothing? If we do, the math is certainly much easier when the second derivative is calculated and all the subsequent arithmetic is valid and we end up with a valid answer.
Works for me.

I still do not quite understand...What I thought is that we're finding for ONE particular solution, no mother which one of infinite number of them, so we FOR EXAMPLE, make sum of these derivatives equal to zero functions.

Is that it?

Anyway, I can't see whether it is really a correct step, I mean, we don't know it this sum really can be zero...you know what I mean.

Think how general this method is: any pair of functions can give any other function this way: If the two given functions are sin(x) and cos(x) and you want to get ex, just write
[tex]\frac{e^x}{2sin(x)}sin(x)+ \frac{e^x}{2cos(x)}cos(x). There are an infinite number of functions that will give you a solution. You are just "limiting the search" by requiring that [tex]\alpha'(x)sin(x)+ \beta'(x)cos(x)= 0[/tex]. You use that particular requirement because that way, when you differentiate again, you wind up with a first order equation for [itex]\alpha(x)[/itex] and [itex]\beta(x)[/itex].

Here's an exercise: suppose you were third order equation that had solutions (to the homogeneous equation) [itex]y_1(x),y_2(x), y_3(x)[/itex] and we seek a solution of the form [itex]y(x)= \alpha(x)y_1(x)+\beta(x)y_2(x)+\gamma(x)y_3(x)[/itex]. y'(x)= \alpha'(x)y_1(x)+\beta(x)'y_2(x)+\gamma'(x)y_3(x)+ \alpha(x)y_1'(x)+\beta(x)y_2'(x)+\gamma(x)y_3'(x)[/itex]. If we set
[itex]\alpha'(x)y_1(x)+\beta'(x)y_2(x)+\gamma'(x)y_3(x)[/itex] we are left with
[itex]\alpha(x)y_1'(x)+\beta(x)y_2'(x)+\gamma(x)y_3'(x)[/itex]. Differentiating again, \alpha(x)'y_1'(x)+\beta'(x)y_2'(x)+\gamma'(x)y_3'(x)+ \alpha(x)y_1"(x)+\beta(x)y_2"(x)+\gamma(x)y_3"(x)[/itex]. What condition do we impose so that when we differentiate again (to get [itex]y_1"'[/itex], etc.) we still have only first derivatives of [itex]\alpha(x)[/itex], etc?

HallsofIvy said:
Think how general this method is: any pair of functions can give any other function this way: If the two given functions are sin(x) and cos(x) and you want to get ex, just write
[tex]\frac{e^x}{2sin(x)}sin(x)+ \frac{e^x}{2cos(x)}cos(x)[/tex]. There are an infinite number of functions that will give you a solution. You are just "limiting the search" by requiring that [tex]\alpha'(x)sin(x)+ \beta'(x)cos(x)= 0[/tex]. You use that particular requirement because that way, when you differentiate again, you wind up with a first order equation for [itex]\alpha(x)[/itex] and [itex]\beta(x)[/itex].
Here's an exercise: suppose you were third order equation that had solutions (to the homogeneous equation)

[tex]y_1(x),y_2(x), y_3(x)[/tex]

and we seek a solution of the form

[tex]
y(x)= \alpha(x)y_1(x)+\beta(x)y_2(x)+\gamma(x)y_3(x)
[/tex].

[tex]
y'(x)= \alpha'(x)y_1(x)+\beta(x)'y_2(x)+\gamma'(x)y_3(x)+ \alpha(x)y_1'(x)+\beta(x)y_2'(x)+\gamma(x)y_3'(x)
[/tex].

If we set

[tex]
\alpha'(x)y_1(x)+\beta'(x)y_2(x)+\gamma'(x)y_3(x)
[/tex]

we are left with

[tex]
\alpha(x)y_1'(x)+\beta(x)y_2'(x)+\gamma(x)y_3'(x)
[/tex].

Differentiating again,

[tex]
\alpha(x)'y_1'(x)+\beta'(x)y_2'(x)+\gamma'(x)y_3'(x)+\alpha(x)y_1"(x)+\beta(x)y_2"(x)+\gamma(x)y_3"(x)
[/tex].

What condition do we impose so that when we differentiate again (to get [itex]y_1"'[/itex], etc.) we still have only first derivatives of [itex]\alpha(x)[/itex], etc?

I see it, the condition is

[tex]
\alpha(x)'y_1'(x)+\beta'(x)y_2'(x)+\gamma'(x)y_3'(x) = 0
[/tex]

Thank you HallsoftIvy!

Last edited:

1. Why is this condition necessary in ODE?

The condition in ODE (ordinary differential equation) is necessary in order to accurately describe and predict the behavior of a system over time. Without this condition, the solution to the ODE may not be unique or may not accurately represent the system's behavior.

2. How does the initial condition affect the solution of an ODE?

The initial condition is the starting point for the ODE, and it determines the specific solution that will be obtained. The solution to an ODE is dependent on both the initial condition and the differential equation itself.

3. Why is it important to specify initial conditions in ODEs?

Specifying initial conditions in ODEs is important because it allows us to obtain a unique solution that accurately represents the system's behavior. It also helps us to understand the behavior of the system at a specific point in time.

4. Can an ODE have multiple initial conditions?

No, an ODE can only have one initial condition. This is because the initial condition determines the specific solution to the ODE, and having multiple initial conditions would result in multiple solutions which would not accurately represent the system's behavior.

5. What happens if the initial condition is changed in an ODE?

If the initial condition is changed, the solution to the ODE will also change. This is because the initial condition is a crucial component in determining the specific solution to the ODE. Even a small change in the initial condition can result in a significantly different solution.