Uncovering the Mystery of High Reading Speeds

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reading speed and factors that may contribute to it. The participants mention personal experiences and opinions, with one person speculating that meditation may improve reading speed due to its effects on mental concentration. However, others question the validity of this claim and note that reading speed may not necessarily be a measure of comprehension or intelligence. The conversation also includes a mention of a person with an exceptional reading speed and memory, but this is not seen as representative of the average person. The conversation ends with the question of why reading speed matters and a summary of the varying reading habits and preferences of different individuals.
heman
what is your reading speed??

And if by the way,it is high..what factors are responsible for that..

Have you ever seen anyone having a reading speed of 3000 or more than that...i don't know how that's possible,,doesn't it mean the person has enormous control over his mind..

Physics news on Phys.org
heman said:

Have you ever seen anyone having a reading speed of 3000 or more than that...i don't know how that's possible,,doesn't it mean the person has enormous control over his mind..

First of all: Most people don't time when they read stuff. Usually, they are too into the material to even think about that, and when they do, they forget the content and get angry, like me.

I don't think reading fast has anything to do with 'control over the mind'. What is 'controlling over the mind' mean scientifically anyway? Its a matter of reading more books to train yourself to become a 'fast' reader.

Bladila,,i can actually give you an example...like i am sure Les,,since he is doing meditation for 30 years would be having higher reading speed along with higher comprehension..thats just my intution because atleast i am sure that his mind would not be giving him Luxury of unwanted thoughts much...

And i believe that if person is having such phenomenal reading speed then there is something really different..

heman said:
Bladila,,i can actually give you an example...like i am sure Les,,since he is doing meditation for 30 years would be having higher reading speed along with higher comprehension..thats just my intution because atleast i am sure that his mind would not be giving him Luxury of unwanted thoughts much...

And i believe that if person is having such phenomenal reading speed then there is something really different..

The question you asked was:

I don't know any 'les' other than 'Les Sleeth'. You are presuming he has 'fast reading speed' which is based on just on your intuition. Just with what evidence are you claiming that he is reading fast here?

Lets say for the sake of argument, that your intuition is right.

Your reply:

Bladila,,i can actually give you an example...like i am sure Les,,since he is doing meditation for 30 years would be having higher reading speed along with higher comprehension..thats just my intution because atleast i am sure that his mind would not be giving him Luxury of unwanted thoughts much

Doesn't that answer your own question?

Bladibla said:
Doesn't that answer your own question?

No..

Bladila,,Truth is i don't know and you don't know so let's know from others what they know..

In a 'speed reading test', I got 367 wpm. I'm probably faster, as I've heard, it's just kind of annoying reading something while you're trying to go as fast as you can and its completely uninteresting to you...

The fastest reader I know of is Kim Peek. He was the guy they based the movie "Rain Man" on. I saw a show on him and they interviewed his father. His father claims he reads both pages of a book simultanelously with each eye reading a page. As I recall he could read both pages in around 10 seconds. What's most remarkable is he has total recall of what he read.

Just a little background on him
http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/savant/kimpeek.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
heman said:

That's not an example, that's unsubstantiated conjecture. What reason would you have to think meditation would in any way be correlated to reading speed?

Moonbear said:
That's not an example, that's unsubstantiated conjecture. What reason would you have to think meditation would in any way be correlated to reading speed?

i think that's logical and see this way/...
Meditation =>Mental Peace =>higher concenteration =>lesser effort in reading =>more speed...:biggrin:

I can be wrong but the ball is in the court of Les Sleeth,,he will prove me wrong or right,,

Rubey...thats exciting information:cool:

heman said:
I can be wrong but the ball is in the court of Les Sleeth,,he will prove me wrong or right,,
No, I think the ball remains in your court to back up your claim with some real evidence, not wild speculation.

This is not a wild speculation...you are an biologist ,,think it over..you will realize that...
There are different kind of mental states you must have observed and there are some mental states which promote effective comprehension and i think Meditation unobjectively enhances that...

By the way what is your reading speed??

I have never seen anything that corelates meditation with faster reading. I agree with Moonbear. One person's reading speed would be meaningless anyway.

heman said:
i think that's logical and see this way/...
Meditation =>Mental Peace =>higher concenteration =>lesser effort in reading =>more speed...:biggrin:
I have to agree with this in principle. Meditation does indeed sharpen your mental faculties. I'm sure an experienced meditator could read much faster and retain more than they did prior to starting the practise. Thing is, speed reading, or rushing to get anything done, is exactly the sort of thing you no longer care for after meditating for a while.

Depends, I usually read very slowly when doing math/problems, and just skim when I read over books that I could care less about it. Also, why does reading speed matter, I know many people who read really fast, and then when are asked a question about what they read have no idea.

nobody said anything about their reading speed...isn't there anything penetrating about reading speed..

heman said:

I don't know about that...my Grandmother is one of the smartest people I know and she's in her 70's. She isn't a fast reader but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who has read more than she has in her lifetime as she's always reading something. She reads every night until about 2AM, gets up at 9AM, and does it again that same night. I'd say, at her age, that's a pretty good amount of control she has there.:rofl:

As for me, though, it depends upon what I'm reading and how interested I am. It also depends upon my frame of mind-- if I'm tired, I can't read period. If my mind feels "sharp" that day, probably pretty fast, not lightning quick but it works. On average, though, my reading speed is, at least to me, pretty slow. I'm stressed out a lot so reading has become a hassle for me...I've gotten so bad that I'm actually worried.:frown: (Noises distract me, doors shutting, etc. My own thoughts even distract me...:bugeye: )

However, it took me less than a week to read the 6th Harry Potter book (652 pgs.) and about the same amount of time to read the other larger ones like Order of the Phoenix (870 pgs.) and the Goblet of Fire (734 pgs.). Oddly enough, Angela's Ashes (368 pgs.) took me about two or three months...hated McCourt's style of writing.:rofl:

konartist said:
Test this out:
http://www.readingsoft.com/

232 wpm - 72% comp

Cool test.:smile:

182 wpm - 82% comp

Not great but not too bad I suppose...:redface:

RVBUCKEYE said:
The fastest reader I know of is Kim Peek. He was the guy they based the movie "Rain Man" on. I saw a show on him and they interviewed his father. His father claims he reads both pages of a book simultanelously with each eye reading a page. As I recall he could read both pages in around 10 seconds. What's most remarkable is he has total recall of what he read.

Just a little background on him
http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/savant/kimpeek.cfm

The movie RainMan projected kim peek in the movie as Raymond who remembers everything he reads,has a very high processing power but nowhere its revealed in a way that he has highest reading speed in the movie that way...

The character of Raymond wouldn't have to be exactly like this Kim Peek person, just similar as it's said that he was the inspiration behind the movie. Apparently, it's not that far fetched; someone else heard the same thing here. You'll have to register/log into read the post if you're interested.

AngelShare said:
Oddly enough, Angela's Ashes (368 pgs.) took me about two or three months...hated McCourt's style of writing.:rofl:

Why is that? I read the Ender's Game series in less than two weeks and I can't finish reading this stupid novel required for English. I think when it is required something in our minds just clicks off.

I hated how he wrote-- his sentences often resembled paragraphs, commas weren't used where they should have been, and would it have killed the guy to use quotation marks when someone is speaking?:rofl:

I was just forced to realize how much I appreciate such things when reading his book, that's all.:smile: I know I'm not perfect but I'm not the writer here.:tongue:

heman said:
The movie RainMan projected kim peek in the movie as Raymond who remembers everything he reads,has a very high processing power but nowhere its revealed in a way that he has highest reading speed in the movie that way...
as info...

It took Kim Peek just over an hour to read Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October. Four months later, when asked to give the name of the book's Russian radio operator, Peek quoted the entire relevant passage.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,3605,1664652,00.html

There seems to be only one person who can read at such speeds with near-perfect comprehension. His name is Kim Peek and he has the ability to read two pages simultaneously, one with each eye, with 98% retention. Nobody knows how he does it but he was born without a corpus callosum, that bundle of nerves that connects the right and left hemispheres of the brain. However, others have also been born with no corpus callosum, or have had it surgically disconnected, without resulting in an increase in reading or retention abilities. Kim can recall most of the contents of some 7,600 books. But, since nobody knows how Kim Peek does it, nobody can teach this skill to others.
http://skepdic.com/speedreading.html

470 WPM, 8/11 comprehension

This was last night when I was tired, just before going to bed.

755 WPM, 7/11 comprehension

I started to read the text, got bored, skipped to the end. Most of the answers in the questionnaire were guessable. So that's not an accurate test of ones reading speed or comprehension.

Being able to read two separate pages at the same time would be a definite advantage.

There's two tricks to improving your reading speed even without extra practice. Don't move your eyes from side to side and don't internally verbalize the words as you read. In fact, one way to do better on that speed reading test is to narrow the screen before you start - there's a reason most books are broken into two columns on each page.

Even so, comprehension is a lot more important than speed - so the important thing is being able to recognize which parts you can blow through and which parts you'd better slow down and think about as you read. Generally, the better the book, the slower I read it, since I'm almost running two separate tracks as I read.

For the test, I had 501 with 82% (ironically, I missed the question about the comprehension percentage for the average reader and the sprinter example was too lame to be worth remembering).

I read very fast..theres little tricks to it..like teaching yourself to skip words.

I read fast, tricks..skip words.

hypatia said:
I read very fast..theres little tricks to it..like teaching yourself to skip words.

I read fast, tricks..skip words.
I agree with the first line, but I don't think it's special enough to make me skip.

aww ca'mon give us a little skip!

AngelShare, good point. I definitely read a lot faster when someone has written things using correct grammar and punctuation. I hate when I start reading a sentence and have to backtrack 3 times because a comma is missing somewhere. And, of course if I'm enjoying reading something, I just breeze through it in no time, while something that's not much fun to read takes forever. Part of that is the ease of becoming distracted by other things. If I'm really enjoying something, I'm not noticing anything else around me, and am completely focused on what I'm reading, so it goes quickly. If I'm not enjoying it, I start thinking about other things mid-sentence, so have to go back and re-read, or I find myself staring out the window, etc.

I've never cared about reading speed since the 8th grade when they tried to teach us all speed reading. I was always one of the slower readers, but my comprehension was 100%. I prefer that over being a faster reader and missing things. Then again, the thought of trying to speed read slows me more than anything else...I'm focused on remembering all the tricks rather than what words my eyes are scanning over.

Well i read somewhere that reading speed is directly proportional to comprehension...and the reason pointed was that mind also becomes fast processor,,i think that may be true for the case of Peek... ,,what do you think about the truth of this,,is it really that way...

Moonbear said:
AngelShare, good point. I definitely read a lot faster when someone has written things using correct grammar and punctuation. I hate when I start reading a sentence and have to backtrack 3 times because a comma is missing somewhere. And, of course if I'm enjoying reading something, I just breeze through it in no time, while something that's not much fun to read takes forever. Part of that is the ease of becoming distracted by other things. If I'm really enjoying something, I'm not noticing anything else around me, and am completely focused on what I'm reading, so it goes quickly. If I'm not enjoying it, I start thinking about other things mid-sentence, so have to go back and re-read, or I find myself staring out the window, etc.

I know exactly what you mean. Just today I was reading Fahrenheit 451 and I was amazed at how well I was doing despite everything going on around me. However, I was reading it in a rather odd fashion...I took to one character in particular so I looked forward to her parts-- literally.:rofl: I started skipping around but, despite that, I understood what was going on and enjoyed it.

My environment greatly effects my ability to read as well. For example, at home, I can sit pretty much anywhere and be distracted by family members slamming doors, talking, turning TV's up, etc. However, I can sit in the library and almost completely ignore people coming in and out and the hum of people talking two rooms over. I've done some of my best reading in the library but going home seems to "reset" what I've read so I have to start over. Bad habit with me...:blushing:

I can read at my Gram's despite cars passing by on the street (I live in the country, she lives in a medium sized town near here so it's definitely a change of scenery.) and even people talking as they walk by her house. My family drives me absolutely crazy though.:rofl:

I've never cared about reading speed since the 8th grade when they tried to teach us all speed reading. I was always one of the slower readers, but my comprehension was 100%. I prefer that over being a faster reader and missing things. Then again, the thought of trying to speed read slows me more than anything else...I'm focused on remembering all the tricks rather than what words my eyes are scanning over.

The only time I worry about reading speed is when homework is involved. Since I'm slower than the average person (Even slower than what my test results said I am-- I tend to reread some sentences several times which takes up a lot of time.:redface: ), I struggle when trying to keep up with the rest of the class.

I thought ahead this time though. Instead of choosing one book from the list using the information posted on the lesson page, I went to the library and found as many of the books (There were about six on the list.) as I could and checked them all out so I could get the feel of each one before choosing which I'd read (Since my ability to read changes from place to place-- something that works at the library won't necessarily work at home.). It definitely helped as I think I may get done ahead of time this time around.:biggrin:

1. What is considered a high reading speed?

A high reading speed is typically defined as reading at a rate of 300 words per minute or higher. This is considered to be above average and may indicate strong reading comprehension and retention skills.

2. Can reading speed be improved?

Yes, reading speed can be improved with practice and specific techniques. By using methods such as skimming, chunking, and eliminating subvocalization, individuals can increase their reading speed and still maintain good comprehension.

3. Is there a correlation between reading speed and intelligence?

There is no direct correlation between reading speed and intelligence. While some individuals may naturally have a higher reading speed, it does not necessarily indicate a higher level of intelligence. However, individuals with a higher reading speed may have better overall reading skills and may be able to process information more quickly.

4. Are there any negative effects of reading too quickly?

Reading too quickly can lead to decreased comprehension and retention of information. It can also cause eye strain and fatigue. It is important to find a balance between reading quickly and understanding the material being read.

5. How can I determine my reading speed?

There are various online tests and tools available that can help determine your reading speed. These typically involve reading a passage and then answering questions about it. However, keep in mind that reading speed can vary depending on the difficulty of the material and other factors, so it is best to take multiple tests to get a more accurate average reading speed.