What is the shape of a rotating mercury surface in an astronomical telescope?

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of creating a concave astronomical telescope mirror using a tank of mercury. The shape of the mirror's surface is determined by the density, distance from the center, and rotation rate of the mercury. The speaker suggests calculating the surface shape by considering the forces acting on a differential bit of mass and using energy arguments to show that it is a parabola. The conversation also mentions the importance of pressure in keeping the particles in the fluid from falling and providing centripetal acceleration.
Greenhippo
Been looking through my notes for a basis to start this question but can't seem to find a starting basis due to poor handouts (or more likely bad note taking by me)

Heres the question
A cocnave astronomical telescop mirror may be made by rotating a circular tank of mercury. Find an experssion for hte shape of the surface in terms of the density, distance from the center and rotation rate.

my initial thoughts are along the lines of when the 'internal resistance force' of the mercury is equal to the centripetal force required to keep it in place. But the problem lies in i have no clue how to calcuate this 'internal resistance force' of the mercury, any information you can offer would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it can be done by considering a differential bit of mass (dm) = differential bit of volume (dv) times the density (p): dm=p*dv. The forces acting on 'dm', for example at the surface, are the centrifugal, gravitational forces, and bouancy force. F_grav = -p*dv*g and F_centrigual=-P*dv*r^2*(angular velcocity). The liquid at the surface will be at rest when it has assumed it's final shape; F_grav + F_centri = F_bouy. The bouancy force will be perpendical to the surface and equal (but opposite) to the sum of the gravitational and centrifugal forces. I don't think you need to know anything specific about the bouy force, just that it's perpendiclar to the surface.

The trick is that you now know the tangent (dy/dx) at every point along the surface. It should be equal to the the gravitational force divided by the centrifugal acceleration. Integrate y w/respect to x.

Even better. Use energy arguments to show that it'll be a parabola. If a differential bit of mass is to stop moving, it's kinetic energy due to rotation will have to go into raising it to a certain height, or
(1/2)*m*v^2 = m*g*y ==> y = (1/2g)*w*r^2 where v^2 = w*r^2.

I don't see how the mass, or density, is not going to divide out.

Last edited:
A couple of hints:
1. The surface must be an isobar, that is a surface of constant pressure (equal to the ambient air pressure)

2. Pressure has mainly two roles to play in this problem:
For a given particle in the fluid, the pressure force acting upon it must counteract gravity to keep the particle from falling downwards; in addition, the pressure force must provide the particle's centripetal acceleration so that it moves about the axis of rotation in a circular fashion.

1. What is Fluid Mechanics Problem?

Fluid Mechanics Problem is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) in motion and at rest. It involves understanding the behavior and properties of fluids, as well as the forces and energy involved in their movement.

2. What are some common real-life applications of Fluid Mechanics Problem?

Fluid Mechanics Problem has a wide range of applications in our daily lives, including in the design of airplanes, cars, and ships, the study of weather patterns and ocean currents, and the development of pumps, turbines, and other hydraulic machinery.

3. How do you solve a Fluid Mechanics Problem?

Solving a Fluid Mechanics Problem involves using principles from mathematics, physics, and engineering to analyze and calculate the properties and behaviors of fluids. This may include using equations such as Bernoulli's equation or the Navier-Stokes equations, as well as experimental data and computer simulations.

4. What are some common challenges in solving Fluid Mechanics Problems?

One of the main challenges in solving Fluid Mechanics Problems is the complexity of fluid behavior, which can be affected by factors such as viscosity, turbulence, and compressibility. Additionally, the nonlinearity of many fluid equations can make them difficult to solve analytically, requiring the use of numerical methods.

5. How does Fluid Mechanics Problem relate to other branches of science and engineering?

Fluid Mechanics Problem is closely related to other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism, as well as engineering disciplines such as mechanical and aerospace engineering. It also has connections to other fields such as meteorology, oceanography, and biology, where the movement of fluids plays a critical role.