Calculating Drag Coefficients for DC-10 in Cruise

• Thread starter angelwings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating drag coefficients for a DC-10 aircraft in cruise. The participant has provided data on thrust, density, velocity, weight, aspect ratio, efficiency, and surface area, and also mentions using the formulas Cd = D/ (density x S x V^2 /2), Cd = Cdo + ((cl^2) / (pi x AR x e)), and Cdi = (cl^2)/ (pi x AR x e) for the calculations. However, they are getting unexpected results and are unsure if the data, formulas, or calculations are incorrect. They also mention needing help with graphing the data against airspeed and question the appropriateness of the Oswald efficiency factor for
angelwings
i am having trouble calculating various drag co-efficents for a dc -10 in cruise.

i have found this data:
Thrust: 153000 lb
density: 0.00085 slug/ft
V= 852ft/s
W=580000lb
AR= 7.5
e= .8
S= 3958ft^2
Cl= 0.5

I have also found the formulas
Cd= D/ (density x S x V^2 /2)
Cd= Cdo + ((cl^2) / (pi x AR x e))
Cdi= (cl^2)/ (pi x AR x e)

i have tried these but get odd answers. i need help to know whether my mistake is my data, my formulas or my calculation.
help with graphing this data vs airspeed would also be appriciated
cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears that you have all the information you need to do the calcs. Perhaps it is a units issue? If you show us what you have we might be able to pinpoint something for you.

Is that value for S right?

It looks rather large indeed, but then I'm too snobby to work in imperial units to find out for sure.

the answers that i got using these formulas were:
for Cd = 0.125
for Cdi= 0.0137
for CDo = 0.11
as cdi and cdo were so different i thought that there must be a problem.
i was also unsure if the thrust value given was for one engine or for all three. is it an appropriate value for three engines?

-in response to brewnog S= 317 m ^2

The thrust value you give is consistent with three engines. 50,000 Lbf sounds about right for a single engine.

Did you do a dimensional analysis to make sure your units were all canceled out?

i did a dimensional analysis. but I'm pretty sure that I'm using all the right units. still having problems though. are the formulas correct and is the oswald efficency factor an approptriate value for a DC - 10?

What is the drag coefficient for a DC-10 in cruise?

The drag coefficient for a DC-10 in cruise is approximately 0.024.

How is the drag coefficient calculated for a DC-10 in cruise?

The drag coefficient is calculated using the formula CD = D / (q * A), where CD is the drag coefficient, D is the drag force, q is the dynamic pressure, and A is the reference area. These values can be obtained from wind tunnel testing or computational fluid dynamics simulations.

What factors can affect the drag coefficient for a DC-10 in cruise?

The drag coefficient can be affected by various factors such as air density, airspeed, surface roughness, and wing shape. Changes in these factors can result in changes to the drag coefficient.

Why is it important to calculate the drag coefficient for a DC-10 in cruise?

Calculating the drag coefficient for a DC-10 in cruise is important for understanding the aerodynamic performance of the aircraft. This information can be used to optimize the design of the aircraft for better fuel efficiency and performance.

What is a good drag coefficient for a DC-10 in cruise?

A good drag coefficient for a DC-10 in cruise is one that is lower than the average for similar aircraft. This indicates that the aircraft has been designed to have minimal drag and therefore, can fly more efficiently.