What is the speed of transverse waves on the rope?

In summary, the tension in the two ropes is the same and they have the same mass. The speed of transverse waves on the shorter rope is 255 m/s. To find the speed of the wave on the longer rope, we can use the equation v = sqrt(F/u) where F is the tension and u is the linear density. Since the tension is the same, the linear density of the longer rope must be twice that of the shorter rope. Therefore, the speed of the wave on the longer rope would be 180 m/s.
Luis2101
Question Details:

A cowgirl ties one end of a 10.0-m-long rope to a fence post and pulls on the other end so the rope is stretched horizontally with a tension of 140 N. The mass of the rope is 0.800 kg.

a) What is the speed of transverse waves on the rope?
b) If the cowgirl moves the free end up and down with a frequency of 1.20 Hz, what is the wavelength of the transverse waves on the rope?
c) The cowgirl pulls harder on the rope so that the tension is doubled to 280 N. With what frequency must she move the free end of the rope up and down to produce transverse waves of the same wavelength as in part (a)?

----
For part A, I tried using µ = mass / length = 0.08kg/m
then i tried to solve for V using v = sqrt(F/µ), but my answer, 0.024m/s is incorrect, according to mastering physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then try again! 0.024 is
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\mu}{F}}[/tex]
not
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{F}{\mu}}[/tex]
!

-_-
Wow.
Lol. I looked over that equation like, 5 different times too, I can't believe I didn't see that.

Thanks.

-Luis

Hi this is my first time to use this so i don't know if I am posting in the right spot. But here is my question:
A wire is stretched between two posts. Another wire is stretched between two posts that are twice as far apart. The tension in the wires is the same, and they have the same mass. A transverse wave travels on the shorter wire with a speed of 255 m/s. What would be the speed of the wave on the longer wire?

Can anyone please help?!

Rachaelh8 said:
Hi this is my first time to use this so i don't know if I am posting in the right spot. But here is my question:
A wire is stretched between two posts. Another wire is stretched between two posts that are twice as far apart. The tension in the wires is the same, and they have the same mass. A transverse wave travels on the shorter wire with a speed of 255 m/s. What would be the speed of the wave on the longer wire?

Can anyone please help?!

To post a new question, you should click "New Topic" in the "Introductory Physics" subforum instead of entering a thread and clicking "New Reply".

Anyhow, write out two equations of the form
[tex]
v=\sqrt{\frac{F}{\mu}}
[/tex]

In both equations, "F" is the same, but "u" isn't. What's the relationship between the linear density of the first rope and that of the second?

1. What are transverse waves?

Transverse waves are a type of mechanical wave that occur when the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's motion.

2. How is the speed of transverse waves on a rope determined?

The speed of transverse waves on a rope is determined by the tension in the rope and the mass per unit length of the rope. This relationship is described by the equation v = √(T/μ), where v is the speed, T is the tension, and μ is the mass per unit length.

3. Does the speed of transverse waves on a rope change with the frequency of the wave?

No, the speed of transverse waves on a rope is independent of the frequency of the wave. This means that a higher frequency wave will travel at the same speed as a lower frequency wave on the same rope.

4. How does the speed of transverse waves on a rope compare to the speed of longitudinal waves?

The speed of transverse waves on a rope is generally slower than the speed of longitudinal waves in the same medium. This is because transverse waves require a medium with structural rigidity, while longitudinal waves can travel through any medium, including gases and liquids.

5. Can the speed of transverse waves on a rope be affected by external factors?

Yes, the speed of transverse waves on a rope can be affected by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and the properties of the medium the rope is passing through. These factors can alter the tension and mass per unit length of the rope, thereby changing the speed of the waves.