Proof using Rolle's thm or the Mean Value Thm

In summary, it is known that:-If f is twice differentiable of some interval containing x_0, x_1, and x_2, then g(x)=\frac{f(x)-f(x_1)}{x- x_1}.-Applying the mean value theorem to g(x) yields \frac{f[x_1, x_2] - f[x_0, x_1]}{x_2 - x_0} = f'(d) -where d is between x_0 and x_1 by the mean value theorem.-If f(x) is arbitrary, then g
island-boy
it is known thm of interpolation that:
[tex]\frac{f[x_1, x_2] - f[x_0, x_1]}{x_2 - x_0}[/tex] = f"(c)}/2
where c is between the minimum and maximum of [tex]x_0, x_1, x_2[/tex]

and where
[tex]f[x_0, x_1] = \frac{f(x_1) - f(x_0)}{x_1 - x_0} = f'(d) [/tex] where d is between [tex] x_0[/tex] and [tex] x_1 [/tex] by the mean value theorem.

Is it possible and if so, can anyone help me prove this equality:
[tex]\frac{f[x_1, x_2] - f[x_0, x_1]}{x_2 - x_0}[/tex] = f"(c)/2
using possibly Rolle's Thm, the Mean Value Thm, the Taylor series expansion, among others? (i.e., using only elelmentary calculus)

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that f is twice differentiable of some interval containing [itex]x_0[/itex], [itex]x_1[/itex], and [itex]x_2[/itex], let [itex]g(x)= \frac{f(x)- f(x_1)}{x- x_1}[/itex]. Apply the mean value theorem to g(x).

cheers for the help, HallsofIvy,
applying the mean value thm to g(x), indeed I would get:
[tex]\frac{f[x_1, x_2] - f[x_0, x_1]}{x_2 - x_0}[/tex]
on the left hand side of the equation.

On the right side, I would have g'(c), but isn't
[tex]g'(x) = \frac{f'(x)(x-x_1) - f(x)}{(x-x_1)^2}[/tex]
thus
[tex]g'(c) = \frac{f'(c)(c-x_1) - f(c)}{(c-x_1)^2}[/tex]

how is this equal to f"(c)/2?

thanks

ETA: I was able to see that [tex]g(x) = f'(c)[/tex] where c is between [tex]x[/tex] and [tex] x_1[/tex]...
I guess if I let [tex]c = \frac{x-x_1}{2}[/tex], I could get:
g'(c) = f"(d)/2
with d between the maximum of [tex]x_0, x_1, x_2[/tex]

but what if I let
[tex]c = \frac{x-x_1}{3}[/tex]?
Wouldn't I get
g'(c) = f"(d)/3 as a result?
I'm confused...:(

Last edited:
okay, the best I can come up with is
[tex]g'(x) = \frac{f'(x)(x-x_1)-[f(x)-f(x_1)]}{(x-x_1)^2} [/tex]
[tex]=\frac{f'(x)(x-x_1) - f'(d)(x-x_1)}{(x-x_1)^2}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{f'(x)-f'(d)}{x-x_1}[/tex]

Thus
[tex]g'(c)=\frac{f'(c)-f'(d)}{c-x_1}[/tex]
where c and d are between x and x1.

how is this equal to f"(s)/2?I did try an arbtrary f(x) and for some reason, the two really are equivalent

Last edited:

1. What is Rolle's Theorem and how is it used in proofs?

Rolle's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that for a differentiable function, if the function takes on the same values at two different points, then there must be a point between those two points where the derivative of the function is equal to 0. This theorem is often used in proofs to show the existence of a critical point or a point where the derivative is equal to 0.

2. Can Rolle's Theorem be applied to any function?

No, Rolle's Theorem can only be applied to differentiable functions. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at every point in the interval being considered.

3. How does the Mean Value Theorem differ from Rolle's Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is an extension of Rolle's Theorem and states that for a differentiable function, there must exist at least one point in the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval. In other words, it guarantees the existence of a point where the instantaneous rate of change is equal to the average rate of change between two points.

4. What are the key assumptions for using Rolle's Theorem or the Mean Value Theorem in a proof?

The key assumptions for using either theorem in a proof are: the function must be differentiable on the interval, the endpoints of the interval must have the same value, and the function must be continuous on the interval. If any of these assumptions are not met, then the theorem cannot be applied.

5. Can Rolle's Theorem or the Mean Value Theorem be used to find the exact value of a function at a specific point?

No, Rolle's Theorem and the Mean Value Theorem do not provide an exact value for a function at a specific point. They only guarantee the existence of a point where the derivative is equal to 0 or the slope of the secant line, respectively. Additional information or calculations are needed to determine the exact value of a function at a specific point.