What are some resources and tips for improving my understanding of mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's realization of their poor understanding of mathematics and their struggle to find a solid foundation in the subject. They express difficulty in applying learned procedures to new concepts and request a list of mathematical subject areas and recommended textbooks to improve their understanding.
jhe1984
Hi,

I'm about halfway through college and have just begun to realize that my understanding of mathematics is rather dismal. This may sound obvious but I know that I can do math because, in high school, once I finally understood a process (which I did in about average time) I could apply it to specific examples. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I learned anything but a random assortment of specific procedures from pre-Algebra to pre-Calculus and nothing like a foundational understanding of why math works or how its connected. So now, when I go on Wikipedia to look up another a math term, the definition is basically in another language. Being taught by coaches was probably not a huge help either, lol.

What I'm looking for, then, are two things. First, I'd like a list of mathematical subject areas (like arithmetic(?), pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, etc) that I need to know, hopefully in a rather hiearchical structure, so that I can move from a basic topic to its extension. Second, if anyone has any ideas on a book or textbook for any of these areas, I'd also appreciate that. (Maybe one textbook covers multiple basic ideas). Either of these things - or references to them - would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ahh, I've found some helpful resources on other parts of this site. i'll start there, but feel free to chime in with any thoughts.

Hi there, thank you for reaching out for help with your mathematics learning. It's great that you have identified your areas of weakness and are seeking to improve your understanding. Here are some suggestions and resources that may be helpful for you:

1. Start with the basics: Before diving into specific subject areas, it's important to have a solid foundation in basic mathematical concepts such as numbers, operations, and basic algebraic principles. Khan Academy (https://www.khanacademy.org/math) is a great online resource that offers free instructional videos and practice exercises for these topics.

2. Understand the why: As you mentioned, it's important to have a foundational understanding of why math works and how different concepts are connected. A book that may help with this is "The Joy of x: A Guided Tour of Math, from One to Infinity" by Steven Strogatz.

3. Subject areas: The main subject areas in mathematics are arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and calculus. Within these areas, there are subtopics such as fractions, equations, trigonometry, and derivatives. It's important to have a good understanding of the basics before moving on to more advanced topics.

4. Textbooks: Some textbooks that cover multiple basic ideas in mathematics are "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang and "Mathematics: A Simple Tool for Geologists" by David Waltham. These books may be helpful in providing a comprehensive overview of different mathematical concepts.

5. Seek help from a tutor or study group: Sometimes, having someone explain concepts in a different way can greatly improve understanding. Consider seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group to work through problems together.

Remember, learning mathematics takes time and practice. Don't get discouraged if it takes some time to fully grasp certain concepts. Keep working at it and seek help when needed. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the best way to improve my math skills?

The best way to improve your math skills is to practice regularly. This can include solving math problems, working through textbooks or online resources, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed.

2. How can I overcome my fear of math?

Overcoming a fear of math often involves identifying the root cause of the fear and addressing it through positive self-talk, seeking support from others, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

3. What are some effective study strategies for math?

Effective study strategies for math include creating a study schedule, actively engaging with the material by asking questions and working through problems, and seeking help from peers or teachers when needed. Additionally, using visual aids, such as diagrams and charts, can also be helpful for understanding and retaining concepts.

4. How can I improve my critical thinking skills in math?

To improve your critical thinking skills in math, practice solving problems using multiple methods and approaches. This can help you develop a deeper understanding of the concepts and improve your ability to analyze and think critically about different types of math problems.

5. What resources are available for additional help with math?

There are many resources available for additional help with math, including online tutorials and videos, study groups, and math-specific tutoring services. Additionally, many schools and libraries have math resources available for students to use. It can also be helpful to seek guidance and support from a teacher or mentor who is knowledgeable in the subject.