Calculate the formula weight for values of X

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the formula weight for the copper ammine complex with different values of X. The question is asking for reasonable values of X and how to determine the molecular weight by plugging in different numbers for X. The response suggests using experimental data to determine X and calculating the mass of the complex with values of X ranging from 1 to infinity.
cyberdx16
I don't really know where to start with this, here's the question

the general formula for the copper ammine complex is [Cu(NH3)x]SO4*H2O

calculate the formula weight for several X values of X.(What are reasonable values for x?)

Do i just plug in random #s for X and figure out the molecular weight?

Thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
I pressume that you want to know how many NH_3 molecules that coordinates to Cu - so assume that you are able to experimentally get the mass of the complex than you can determine X - so calculate the mass of the complex by using X = 1,2...

(Or at least that is how I understand your exercise.)

I would first clarify the question by asking for the purpose of calculating the formula weight for different values of X. Is it for an experiment or a theoretical calculation? This information would help determine the appropriate values for X to use in the calculation.

Assuming that the purpose is for a theoretical calculation, reasonable values for X would typically be whole numbers, as the formula weight is typically calculated using whole-number coefficients. It would also be helpful to use a range of values for X to see how it affects the overall formula weight.

To calculate the formula weight, we would first need to determine the molar mass of each element present in the formula. The molar mass of Cu is 63.55 g/mol, N is 14.01 g/mol, H is 1.01 g/mol, S is 32.07 g/mol, and O is 16.00 g/mol. We also need to consider the number of each element present in the formula, which is determined by the subscript next to the element symbol.

For example, if we use X = 1, the formula weight would be:

[Cu(NH3)1]SO4*H2O
= (1 x 63.55 g/mol) + (1 x (14.01 g/mol + 3 x 1.01 g/mol)) + (1 x 32.07 g/mol) + (1 x 18.02 g/mol)
= 63.55 g/mol + 17.04 g/mol + 32.07 g/mol + 18.02 g/mol
= 130.68 g/mol

Similarly, for X = 2, the formula weight would be:

[Cu(NH3)2]SO4*H2O
= (1 x 63.55 g/mol) + (2 x (14.01 g/mol + 3 x 1.01 g/mol)) + (1 x 32.07 g/mol) + (1 x 18.02 g/mol)
= 63.55 g/mol + 34.08 g/mol + 32.07 g/mol + 18.02 g/mol
= 147.72 g/mol

We can continue this calculation for different values of X to see how it affects the overall formula weight. It is important to note that the values of X should be reasonable and within the range of 1-4, as the formula

1. What is the formula for calculating the formula weight for values of X?

The formula weight for values of X is calculated by adding the atomic weights of all the atoms present in the molecule or compound. The atomic weights can be found in the periodic table.

2. Can the formula weight for values of X be negative?

No, the formula weight for values of X cannot be negative as it represents the total mass of the atoms in a molecule or compound. It is always a positive value.

3. How is the formula weight for values of X different from molecular weight?

The formula weight for values of X is the sum of the atomic weights of all the atoms in a molecule or compound, while the molecular weight is the sum of the atomic weights of all the atoms in a molecule multiplied by the number of molecules present.

4. Can the formula weight for values of X be different for the same compound?

No, the formula weight for values of X will always be the same for a particular compound. However, the molecular weight may vary depending on the number of molecules present.

5. How can I use the formula weight for values of X in my experiments?

The formula weight for values of X can be used to determine the amount of a particular compound needed for a reaction. It can also be used to calculate the concentration of a solution or to convert between different units of measurement.