MSc in physics or computer science

In summary, the individual is completing their BSc. in Physics in India and has decided to pursue engineering in the US instead of pure sciences. However, most US universities require an MSc. from India as eligibility for masters in engineering. The individual is considering doing an MSc. in either physics or computer science/information technology, but is unsure which would be more helpful for getting admitted into a masters program in mechanical/aerospace engineering in the US. The advice is given to pursue an MSc. in physics as it is a versatile major and has more in common with engineering than computer science.
incognitant
I'll be completing my BSc. in Physics this april from India. But recently I have decided not to pursue pure sciences, instead go for engineering in US. Most of the US universities require a MSc. from India as eligibility for doing masters in US. I want to do masters either in mechanical/aerospace.
So in what field should I do MSc. from India. I only have two choices, either I can do MSc. in physics or in computer science/information technology. It is not possible to do MSc. in mechanical/aerospace after BSc. physics in India.
What field do u think will be more helpful -- Physics/ computer science for me to get admitted in a MS course in US( in mechanical/aerospace engineering )
Any advice will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to do engineering, then perhaps you should do an MSc in physics. And I'm not just saying this out of personal bias. I know people who've done BS degrees in engineering only to do an MS in physics, and the reverse is also possible. I'm not so sure about computer science though. I don't know how the academic programs work over in India (at least not beyond what my dad tells me about his experiences going to college there), but here in America I've seen that engineering has a bit more in common with physics than it does with computer science. Besides that, physics students tend to pick up a few computer skills. I, for example, have never taken a computer science course in my life, and I know how to program a computer to acquire data, operate an apparatus, or do various other tasks. Physics tends to be a rather versatile major. So based on what I know from my engineering friends, you'd be better off getting your MS in physics.

I understand your dilemma and the importance of choosing the right field for your MSc. degree. Both physics and computer science have their own strengths and can be beneficial for a career in mechanical/aerospace engineering. However, the decision ultimately depends on your interests and career goals.

If you are interested in the theoretical aspects of mechanical/aerospace engineering and want to focus on research and development, then pursuing an MSc. in physics would be a better option. Physics will provide you with a strong foundation in fundamental principles and mathematical concepts that are essential for understanding and solving complex problems in mechanical/aerospace engineering.

On the other hand, if you are more inclined towards the practical and technological aspects of mechanical/aerospace engineering, then an MSc. in computer science or information technology would be more suitable. This field will equip you with skills in programming, software development, and data analysis, which are highly valued in the industry.

It is also important to consider the specific requirements of the universities you are interested in. Some may prefer a background in physics, while others may value computer science skills. You can also reach out to the admissions departments of these universities to get a better understanding of their preferences.

In conclusion, both physics and computer science can be helpful in securing admission for a MS course in mechanical/aerospace engineering in the US. I would recommend carefully evaluating your interests and career goals before making a decision. Also, keep in mind that your MSc. degree is just one aspect of your application, and your overall academic performance and relevant experience will also play a crucial role in your admission. Wish you all the best in your academic journey!

What is an MSc in physics or computer science?

An MSc in physics or computer science is a graduate degree program that focuses on advanced study in either physics or computer science. It typically involves coursework, research, and a thesis or project, and can take 1-2 years to complete.

What is the difference between an MSc in physics and an MSc in computer science?

An MSc in physics focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while an MSc in computer science focuses on the study of computers, algorithms, and software systems. However, there is often overlap between the two fields, and some universities offer joint MSc programs in both areas.

What are the benefits of pursuing an MSc in physics or computer science?

An MSc in physics or computer science can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, industry, and technology. It can also provide valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, which are highly sought after in many industries.

What are the prerequisites for an MSc in physics or computer science program?

The specific prerequisites may vary depending on the university and program, but generally, applicants should have a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, computer science, or engineering. They may also be required to have a certain GPA and submit GRE scores.

Can I pursue an MSc in physics or computer science if I have a different undergraduate background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an MSc in physics or computer science even if you have a different undergraduate background. However, you may be required to take additional courses to fulfill the necessary prerequisites. Some universities also offer bridge programs specifically designed for students with non-related undergraduate degrees.