Quanta of massive vector fields

In summary, the W+, W-, and Z0 fields are massive, spin-1 bosons that are examples of Proca fields in electroweak force. The Z0 field is not charged and cannot be written as a linear combination of the charged W bosons. The neutral pion in nuclear physics is described by a separate scalar field and is not related to the charged pions. The W and Z bosons follow similar patterns, but the Z boson is also affected by hypercharge. In the quark model, the charged and neutral pions are described by different combinations of quarks.
quantumfireball
Are the W+,W- and Z0 the field quanta of the massive charged vector fields?
ie Proca fields

Physics news on Phys.org
They are massive and they are gauge fields (electroweak force). but the Z0 is not charged.

"Proca" fields are massive, spin-1 bosons. These objects are not unique. W and Z bosons are examples of these things. So is the rho meson in hadron physics. They are each their own separate Proca field.

but hadrons are not fundamental
but thanks for clearing the doubt regarding w bosons

what does "fundamental" have to do with anything?

olgranpappy said:
They are massive and they are gauge fields (electroweak force). but the Z0 is not charged.

yes but Z0 field can be written as a linear combination of W+ and W- fields
like in scalar fields right?to get a real valued field

what I mean by my above post is that "Proca" has nothing to do with "fundamental" - it's just the Lagrangian for a massive, spin-1 particle. The deuteron, for example, can be described by a proca field, as long as you're not interested in the substructure of the deuteron (ex: problems in atomic or molecular physics)!

quantumfireball said:
yes but Z0 field can be written as a linear combination of W+ and W- fields
like in scalar fields right?to get a real valued field

NO! The Z boson is NOT a linear combination of the charged W bosons! It is its own thing.

wait a minute this is getting a bit confusing in nuclear physics the pions are described by complex scalar fields and over there the neutral pion is decribed by the field 1/2*(phi+phi*),i think i read this in JJ Sakurai advanced QM
Plz confirm

quantumfireball said:
wait a minute this is getting a bit confusing in nuclear physics the pions are described by complex scalar fields and over there the neutral pion is decribed by the field 1/2*(phi+phi*),i think i read this in JJ Sakurai advanced QM
Plz confirm

You are mis-informed! The neutral pion is not related to the charged pions - it is a linearly independent scalar field.

I think you're getting confused with the following: the 3 pions form an isospin-1 field (3 components), call them [itex]\pi_1,\pi_2,\pi_3[/itex]. now you can write:

[tex]\pi^{\pm}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\pi_1\pm i\pi_2)[/tex]

while [itex]\pi^0 = \pi_3[/itex]. Here the sign corresponds to the charge.

Now for the W bosons, you can also write [itex]W^\pm\propto(W_1\pm iW_2)[/itex] while the Z-boson is related to [itex]W_3[/itex], although the Z boson also has hypercharge so it's more complicated than the [itex]\pi^0[/itex].

Does that help?

Also, in the quark model, remember that the charged pions are (u-dbar) and (d-ubar), while the neutral pion is (u-ubar)+(d-dbar) - so these are not the same thing!

thanks a lot belchman
i know i was a confused

1. What are quanta of massive vector fields?

Quanta of massive vector fields refer to the smallest units of energy and momentum associated with a massive vector field. In quantum field theory, these quanta are known as vector bosons.

2. How are quanta of massive vector fields different from other types of particles?

Quanta of massive vector fields are different from other types of particles because they carry spin 1, have integer values of intrinsic spin, and interact via the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces. They also have mass, unlike massless particles such as photons.

3. What is the significance of quanta of massive vector fields in particle physics?

Quanta of massive vector fields play a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics. They are responsible for mediating the fundamental forces between particles and are essential for understanding the behavior of matter at the subatomic level.

4. How are quanta of massive vector fields detected and studied?

Quanta of massive vector fields are detected and studied through particle accelerators and detectors. Accelerators collide particles at high energies to create these quanta, and detectors record the interactions and properties of the particles produced.

5. Can quanta of massive vector fields be created or destroyed?

According to the principles of quantum mechanics, quanta of massive vector fields can be created or destroyed in interactions between particles. However, energy and momentum must be conserved in these processes, and the creation or destruction of these quanta must follow certain rules and conservation laws.