Biomechanics problem w/ vectors

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving finding a vector from the elbow to the wrist, the length of the forearm, and the angle of the elbow. The vectors are given in a right-handed orthogonal reference frame and vector subtraction is needed to find the final vector. The length of the forearm is found using the magnitude of the final vector and for the elbow angle, the dot product and cosine function are used to find the angle between the vectors.
in10sivkid
Hi everyone...I am in my last semester of college and physics has returned to my life.. It has been approximately 3 yrs since physics and 6 years since calculus so I am really rusty regarding classical physics (mechanics).

here is my problem

Listed below are three vectors that point from the origin of a right-handed orthogonal three-dimensional reference frame to the shoulder (V1 ), elbow (V2 ) and wrist (V3 ), respectively, of the throwing arm of a baseball pitcher. Note, i and j are unit vectors in the horizontal directions (j points towards home plate and i is perpendicular to j and points towards third base), and k is a unit vector pointing in the vertical direction.

V1 = (10.02 i + 11.08 j + 1.10 k ) m - Shoulder

V2 = (10.19 i + 11.33 j + 1.22 k ) m - Elbow

V3 = (10.27 i + 11.55 j + 1.36 k ) m - Wrist

I have to find a vector that points from the elbow to the wrist, the length of the forearm from the elbow to the wrist, and also the elbow angle in degrees. I am going to write out my thought process so hopefully you can correct me if I'm wrong. I believe I have to do vector subtraction in order to find this vector. I would take the V3 (wrist) - V2(elbow). I would align the tail of V2 on the tip of V3 in the negative direction and find the resulting vector.
for the i unit vector it would be 10.27 - 10.19 = .09
for the j = 11.55 - 11.33 = .22
for the k = 1.36 - 1.22 = .14

I have a vector that is .09i + .22j .14k

and I would find the magnitude to find the length of the forearm which would be the square root of (.09i^2 + .22j^j + .14^2)
= .276 m which sounds reasonable

then for the last part solving the angle of the elbow I am stumped.

any feedback/help would be amazingly appreciative.

thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks fine so far (except that the final vector should be .08i etc if the numbers are correct).

For the elbow angle: did they specify which frame the elbow is measured against? If it is the angle between say the shoulder and wrist, where the angle would be 180 degrees if your arm is extended, then you must find the vector pointing from the elbow to the shoulder, then use the definition of the dot product to find the angle between (hopefully you've covered it).

Use the dot or scalar product to determine the angle. That is you need to define the vector pointing from the shoulder to the elbow. The scalar product of this vector and the one from the elbow to the wrist will be equal to the product of their magnitudes (the two vectors) and the cosine of the angle between them (the required angle).

1. What exactly is biomechanics?

Biomechanics is the study of the structure and function of biological systems using the principles of mechanics. It involves the application of physics and mathematics to understand how living organisms move and interact with their environment.

2. How are vectors used in biomechanics?

Vectors are used in biomechanics to represent and analyze forces and movements in the human body. They are used to measure the magnitude and direction of forces and to calculate joint angles and velocities.

3. What are some common applications of biomechanics?

Biomechanics has a wide range of applications, including sports performance analysis, injury prevention and rehabilitation, prosthetics and orthotics design, and understanding human movement in healthcare and ergonomics.

4. How do biomechanics principles impact sports performance?

Biomechanics principles play a crucial role in sports performance by helping athletes optimize their movements and technique to produce more efficient and powerful movements. It also helps coaches and trainers identify and correct any errors in an athlete's technique.

5. What are some challenges in studying biomechanics?

Some challenges in studying biomechanics include the complexity of biological systems, the variability among individuals, and the difficulty in accurately measuring and analyzing human movement. Additionally, there are ethical considerations when conducting research on human subjects.