Oxidizing power of potassium chlorate vs. nitrate

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in oxidizing power between potassium chlorate and potassium nitrate, as well as how to find the reduction potential for anions. The standard reduction potentials are values of electrochemical potentials versus a standard hydrogen electrode. The more positive the potential, the better the oxidizing agent. Based on the given values, chlorate (ClO3-) is a stronger oxidizing agent than nitrate (NO3-). However, it is not possible to determine the exact strength ratio between the two.
Mk
I was wondering how much stronger potassium chlorate is vs. potassium nitrate in oxidizing power, and how to look up the information for myself next time if possible. Thanks :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Find the reduction potential for the anions and compare.

I know my elements and took high school chemistry, but I tried looking up what you said and it's a little bit over my head. Could you explain it a different way?

Standard reduction potentials are basically values of electrochemical potentials versus a standard hydrogen electrode, as you may know if an agent is labeled a reducing agent in an chemistry equation it becomes oxidized - it is the electron donor. The opposite applies for an oxidizing agent - it is responsible for taking away the electrons. Standard hydrogen electrodes are given the value of zero and an galvanic electrochemical setup is designed with it at the cathode and an anode setup with the oxidizing agent of your choice and then the voltage difference is measured between the anode and the cathode. The greater the value of this voltage the better the anode agent is as an oxidizing agent in a relative sense.

From what I remember, the more positive the potential, the better the oxidizing agent.

Man, I don't know. I guess I get the answer my question asks for but, I was hoping for an integer or something.

i have some standard electrode values.

OCl[tex]^{-}_{(aq)}[/tex] + H[tex]^{+}_{(aq)}[/tex] + e[tex]^{-}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]Cl[tex]_{2(aq)}[/tex] + 2H[tex]_{2}[/tex]O[tex]_{(l)}[/tex]

emf = + 1.64 V

NO[tex]^{-}_{3(aq)}[/tex] + 3H[tex]^{+}_{(aq)}[/tex] + 2e[tex]^{-}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] HNO[tex]_{2(aq)}[/tex] + H[tex]_{2}[/tex]O[tex]_{(l)}[/tex]

emf = + 0.94 V

therefore, the chlorate(1) is a stronger oxidising agent.

Last edited:
Kushal said:
i have some standard electrode values.

OCl[tex]^{-}_{(aq)}[/tex] + H[tex]^{+}_{(aq)}[/tex] + e[tex]^{-}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]Cl[tex]_{2(aq)}[/tex] + 2H[tex]_{2}[/tex]O[tex]_{(l)}[/tex]

emf = + 1.64 V

NO[tex]^{-}_{3(aq)}[/tex] + 3H[tex]^{+}_{(aq)}[/tex] + 2e[tex]^{-}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] HNO[tex]_{2(aq)}[/tex] + H[tex]_{2}[/tex]O[tex]_{(l)}[/tex]

emf = + 0.94 V

Chlorate is

[tex]ClO_3^{-}[/tex]

not

[tex]ClO^{-}[/tex]

oooops... yeah it is ClO3-

Kushal said:
emf = + 1.64 V

emf = + 0.94 V

Does this mean it is 1.7x stronger?

What is the difference between the oxidizing power of potassium chlorate and nitrate?

Potassium chlorate (KClO3) and potassium nitrate (KNO3) are both strong oxidizing agents, meaning they have the ability to donate oxygen to other substances. However, potassium chlorate has a higher oxidizing power compared to potassium nitrate. This is due to the presence of three oxygen atoms in potassium chlorate, whereas potassium nitrate only has one oxygen atom.

Which compound is more commonly used as an oxidizing agent?

Potassium nitrate is more commonly used as an oxidizing agent compared to potassium chlorate. This is because potassium nitrate is more stable and less reactive, making it safer to handle in various industrial and laboratory settings.

Can potassium chlorate and nitrate be used interchangeably as oxidizing agents?

While both compounds have similar properties, they cannot be used interchangeably as oxidizing agents. Potassium chlorate is a more powerful oxidizing agent and may cause reactions to occur too quickly or with too much intensity if used in place of potassium nitrate. Additionally, some reactions may specifically require the use of one compound over the other.

What are the potential hazards of using potassium chlorate and nitrate as oxidizing agents?

Both potassium chlorate and nitrate are considered strong oxidizing agents and can pose potential hazards if mishandled. They can react violently with reducing agents and may cause fire or explosion. In addition, both compounds can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system if inhaled.

How can the oxidizing power of potassium chlorate and nitrate be determined?

The oxidizing power of potassium chlorate and nitrate can be determined by conducting experiments and measuring their ability to oxidize other substances. This can be done by observing changes in color, temperature, or the production of gases. The results can then be compared to determine which compound has a higher oxidizing power.