Finding the fields from 2 electric dipoles

In summary, you would draw a perpendicular plane to the direction of interest and compute the distance of each dipole from it, then sum with an sin(kd) for each and superpose the dipole pattern from each source. If it's in the nearfield then maybe use a freespace Green's function like (e^Z)/Z where Z=-jkd, i think that's the right one for potential anyway.
Norman
How would I go about finding the fields from 2 electric dipoles say a distance d apart... I know they will simply sum... but I am having trouble thinking of how the dipole moment of the dipole at position a would look. I am drawing a blank here and it is getting frustrating.
Thanks,
Norm

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, i don't work too much with electric fields, but if it was an acoustic field:
Each diplole has a pattern associated with it, i seem to recall it is a cos.
For a far field pattern, draw a plane perpendicular to the direction of interest and compute the distance of each diplole from it, then sum with an sin(kd) for each and superpose the dipole pattern from each source.

If it's in the nearfield then maybe use a freespace Green's function like (e^Z)/Z where Z=-jkd, i think that's the right one for potential anyway. And of course superpose the individual source patterns.

The individual dipole pattern is just a pair of monopoles separated much much less than a wavelength with opposite sign, using a far field pattern.

Hope this helps some,
Best

Norman,
Do you have a picture? I'm having trouble understanding your question. Are you asking how the field from just one dipole would look? (and then you know, once you have that, to use the superposition principle) Do you know about Legendre functions?

Sorry it was a poorly phrased question... I figured it out though. I had two oscillating dipoles separated by a distance d. I wanted to, in the end, find out what their radiation fields looked like for all space. Since there was no net charge, my dipole moment was independent of coordinate system but there was a phase factor difference between the fields created by each.
Thanks for the interest.
Cheers,
Norm

1. How can I calculate the electric field from 2 electric dipoles?

To calculate the electric field from 2 electric dipoles, you will need to use the superposition principle. This means that you will need to calculate the electric field from each dipole separately and then add them together to get the total electric field. The electric field from a dipole can be calculated using the formula E = (1/4πε0)(2p/r3), where p is the dipole moment and r is the distance from the dipole.

2. What are the components of an electric dipole?

An electric dipole consists of two equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. The two charges are referred to as the positive and negative poles of the dipole. The distance between the two poles is known as the dipole moment, which is represented by the symbol p.

3. Can the electric field from two dipoles cancel each other out?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field from two dipoles to cancel each other out. This occurs when the two dipoles are aligned in opposite directions and have equal magnitudes. In this case, the electric field from one dipole will be in the opposite direction of the electric field from the other dipole and they will cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

4. How does the distance between two dipoles affect the electric field?

The distance between two dipoles has a strong effect on the electric field. As the distance between the two dipoles increases, the electric field from each dipole decreases, resulting in a weaker total electric field. This is because the electric field follows an inverse-square law, meaning that it decreases with the square of the distance.

5. Can the orientation of the dipoles affect the electric field?

Yes, the orientation of the dipoles can greatly affect the electric field. When the dipoles are aligned in the same direction, the electric fields will add up and result in a stronger total electric field. However, when the dipoles are aligned in opposite directions, the electric fields will cancel each other out and result in a weaker or zero net electric field.