Need help picking math courses for CS.

• Courses
  • Thread starter ektrules
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses Cs
In summary, the individual is a Computer Science major at a liberal arts college and has decided to minor in mathematics due to its importance. They are unsure which courses to take for the minor but are interested in simulation programming and AI jobs after graduation. They have already taken Calc I, Elementary Statistics, and plan to take Calc II. They need to choose three more courses and the recommended ones for simulation programming are Ordinary Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Calc III, Calc IV, and Intro to Numerical Analysis. For AI, the recommended courses are Ordinary Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Intro to Mathematical Statistics, and Abstract Algebra. The person also notes that Topology, Complex Analysis, and Real Analysis are optional unless they want to pursue a career
ektrules
Hello. I'm a Computer Science major at a liberal arts college that doesn't require many mathematics courses. So I've decided to minor in mathematics because it seems important. My school gives a lot of freedom on which courses I can take to achieve this minor, and I have no idea which would be the most helpful.

I would especially like to get a job involving simulation programming or AI after I graduate.

So far, I've taken Calc I, Elementary Statistics, and I must take Calc II. I need to pick 3 more classes (I can possibly fit in 1 or 2 more in depending on my schedule) out of these:

Ordinary Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
College Geom I
College Geom II
Calc III
Calc IV
Intro to Numerical Analysis.
Intro to Mathematical Statistics
Abstract Algebra
Topology
Complex Analysis
Real Analysis

Can anybody offer some recommendations? I'm not even sure what half of these courses cover, or what they'd be useful for :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For simulation programming:
Linear Algebra
Calc III
Calc IV
Intro to Numerical Analysis

For AI:
Linear Algebra
Intro to mathematical Statistics
Abstract Algebra

What I would probably recommend for right now:
Ordinary Differential Equartions
Linear Algebra
Calc III
Calc IV
Abstract Algebra

all of em

Well, the bottom three...
Topology
Complex Analysis
Real Analysis
... are really optional unless you want to go into pure math, which you don't.

I pretty much agree with AUMathTutor: Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, and Numerical Analysis are probably most important.

1. What are the essential math courses for a CS major?

The essential math courses for a CS major typically include Calculus, Discrete Mathematics, Linear Algebra, and Probability and Statistics. These courses provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts that are necessary for understanding and solving complex problems in computer science.

2. How do I determine which math courses to take for my CS degree?

To determine which math courses to take, it is important to consult your university's curriculum for the CS major. This will outline the required math courses for the degree. Additionally, you can speak with an academic advisor or current CS students to get their recommendations on which math courses to take.

3. Can I take advanced math courses as electives for my CS degree?

Many CS programs allow students to take advanced math courses as electives. These courses can provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in computer science. However, it is important to make sure these courses align with your degree requirements and do not overload your course load.

4. How important is math for a career in computer science?

Math is essential for a career in computer science. It provides the foundation for understanding algorithms, data structures, and other key concepts in computer science. Additionally, many employers look for candidates with strong mathematical skills for positions in areas such as data science and machine learning.

5. What resources can I use to improve my math skills for CS?

There are many resources available to help improve math skills for CS. These include online tutorials, textbooks, practice problems, and tutoring services. Additionally, many universities offer math support centers for students to receive extra help and practice with mathematical concepts.