Bending Moment of Beam Equation in Terms of d: Tips and Advice

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving an equation in terms of 'd' with given values for 'f', 'M', and 'b'. The solution provided is incorrect and the correct solution should be d = cube.root(12M/2fb).
jon1984
Hi,

I have the equation:

f/y=M/I

And y = d/2; I = bd^3/13

However i have been trying for ages to try and get this equation in terms of d. Can anyone help me/ give advice as to how?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i've got to:

2f/12M = d/bd^3

How do i collect the d's now?

is this correct?

d = cube.root(12M/2fb)

The I of a rectangle is bd^3/12, you may have a typo. The rest is algebraic substitution. Is that where your problem lies...in the algebra?

yeah, i did use bd^3/12 when working out to find d.

I think my above solution is correct, just need someone to check

M = 45Nm
f = 240x10^6
b = 16mm

Im trying to find d.

I used the forumla:
f/y = M/I

re-arranged to find d:
d = cube.root(12M/2fb)

Put my values in and got an answer of:
d = 0.041m

Is this correct?

No. You have a 'd' in the numerator and a 'd^3' in the denominator. 2f/12M = d/bd^3. That's the same as 2f/12M = 1/bd^2

1. What is bending moment and how is it calculated?

Bending moment is a measure of the bending or twisting force experienced by a beam or any other structural element. It is calculated by multiplying the distance from the point of interest to the point of applied force, also known as the moment arm, by the magnitude of the applied force.

2. What factors affect the bending moment of a beam?

The bending moment of a beam is affected by various factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied load, the length and shape of the beam, and the material properties of the beam such as its cross-sectional area and modulus of elasticity.

3. How does the bending moment vary along the length of a beam?

The bending moment varies along the length of a beam, with the highest bending moment occurring at the point where the applied load is greatest. As the distance from this point increases, the bending moment decreases, reaching zero at the points of support.

4. What is the significance of the bending moment in structural design?

The bending moment is a critical factor in structural design as it determines the maximum stress and deflection that a beam will experience. Engineers must consider the bending moment when designing beams to ensure that they are strong enough to withstand the applied loads without failing or deforming excessively.

5. How can the bending moment of a beam be reduced?

The bending moment of a beam can be reduced by increasing its cross-sectional area, using a stronger material, or changing the beam's shape or support conditions. Additionally, adding support points along the length of the beam can also decrease the bending moment at any given point.