Even function has a Laurent decomposition of even functions and even powers of z

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine whether an even function's Laurent decomposition will also consist of even functions with even powers of z. The formula for the even and odd parts of any function is mentioned, and it is noted that for an even function, f(z) = f(-z) and the coefficients must follow a certain equation. However, it is unclear how to prove that the even parts of the Laurent series will also have even powers of z.
caramello
Hi,

if let's say that there's an even function f(z) then how do we know if its Laurent decomposition (i.e. f(z) = f0(z) + f1(z) ) will be even functions and have even powers of z?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a generic Laurent series and compute it's even and odd parts. What do you see?

(You know a formula for the even and odd part of any function, right?)

i know that for even function f(z) = f(-z) which means that the sum from n=0 to infinity of a_n z^n is equals to the sum from n=0 to infinity of a_n (-z)^n.
(note: a_n is the coefficient of the series)

Then this will give me an equation of a_n = a_n (-1)^n ---> conclusion: a_n can't be equal to 0, am I right?

But then after this I don't know what else to do in order to prove that f0(z) and f1(z) are even functions that only has powers of z.

Thank you so much

Must be Laurent series in powers of [itex]z[/itex].

1. What is an even function?

An even function is a mathematical function that satisfies the property f(-x) = f(x), meaning that the function's value at -x is equal to its value at x. This results in a symmetric graph about the y-axis.

2. What is a Laurent decomposition?

A Laurent decomposition is a way of representing a function as a sum of simpler functions. In this case, an even function can be represented as a sum of other even functions and even powers of z.

3. How is an even function's Laurent decomposition different from its Taylor series?

The main difference is that a Taylor series represents a function as a sum of powers of z, while a Laurent decomposition allows for negative powers of z as well. This is useful for functions that have singularities or poles at certain points.

4. How is the Laurent decomposition of an even function helpful in solving problems?

The Laurent decomposition allows us to break down a complex even function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function near singularities or poles.

5. Can any even function be decomposed into even functions and even powers of z?

Yes, any even function can be decomposed into a sum of even functions and even powers of z. This is because any even function can be represented as a Taylor series, and a Taylor series can always be extended to include negative powers of z with the Laurent decomposition.