Electrolytes for experiment

• Thread starter Spurious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the student is conducting an experiment for their A level physics course to determine the approximate size of an atom through electrolysis of metals. They plan to extend the experiment to find a conclusion by determining the atomic radii of several metals with a face-centered cubic structure. The student is seeking suggestions for safe and feasible electrolytes to use and is open to any suggestions to improve the experiment. They also plan to compare the atomic radii with the nuclear structure and properties of the metals.
Spurious
Hi
I’m doing an experiment for my A level physics course. The aim of the experiment is to find an approximate value for the size of an atom, through electrolysis of metals. I’ve been told I need to extend the experiment to try and find some sort of “conclusion” from the results (rather than a single value). My new experiment is to determine the atomic radii of several metals that form a face-centered cubic structure. I would use electrolysis to find the atomic mass, and then use the atomic mass and density (with a bit of geometry) to calculate the atomic radius. Then for my conclusion I could compare the values and try and find a relationship between the atomic radius and the nuclear structure of the metals.

My problem is not in the theory of electrolysis but in the chemical feasibility of my experiment. I need to electrolyse Aluminium, copper, nickel, lead and silver (I’ve discounted other FCC metals due to cost) but I’m not sure what electrolytes to use. Bearing in mind that I only have standard high school apparatus and one week in which to do the experiment what electrolytes would you guys suggest? I’m hoping for relatively fast electrolysis with no highly reactive/dangerous/toxic chemicals involved.

I know there are problems with my experiment (I’m hoping for a better write up if I have some comments to make about accuracy etc.) but feel free to make any suggestions to improve things.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Your experiment sounds very interesting and I'm glad you are thinking about extending it to find a conclusion from your results. It shows great critical thinking skills and scientific curiosity.

In terms of electrolytes to use for your experiment, I would suggest using a solution of copper sulfate for copper, nickel sulfate for nickel, and silver nitrate for silver. These are relatively safe and common chemicals that can be easily obtained from a school science lab or a local hardware store. For aluminum and lead, you could use a solution of sodium chloride (table salt) as it is a commonly used electrolyte for these metals.

To improve the accuracy of your experiment, I would suggest controlling the variables as much as possible. This means keeping the same concentration of electrolyte, voltage, and current for each metal. You could also repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results to reduce any errors.

In terms of your conclusion, I think the comparison of the atomic radii and nuclear structure of the metals is a great idea. You could also try to relate it to the properties of the metal, such as conductivity or reactivity, and see if there is any correlation with the atomic radius.

I wish you all the best with your experiment and I'm sure you will learn a lot from it. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for help or advice from your teacher or other scientists. That's what science is all about - collaboration and continuous learning.

Hello,

It sounds like you have a very interesting experiment planned. When it comes to electrolysis, the choice of electrolyte is crucial in determining the success and accuracy of your results. I would suggest using a strong acid, such as sulfuric acid, as your electrolyte for all of the metals you listed. This will provide a conductive solution and allow for faster electrolysis. Additionally, you may want to consider using a salt solution, such as sodium chloride, as it can also act as a strong electrolyte and is readily available in most high school laboratories.

Another important factor to consider is the purity of your metals. Impurities can greatly affect the results of your experiment, so it may be helpful to use pure metals or to purify them before electrolysis.

One suggestion for improving your experiment would be to vary the concentration of your electrolyte solution and observe the effect on the rate of electrolysis. This can provide additional data and insights into the relationship between atomic radius and nuclear structure.

I hope this helps and I wish you success in your experiment! If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

What are electrolytes used for in experiments?

Electrolytes are substances that conduct electricity when dissolved in a solution. They are commonly used in experiments to create an electrical circuit or to test the conductivity of different solutions.

What are some common examples of electrolytes?

Some common examples of electrolytes include salt (sodium chloride), sugar (sucrose), acids (such as hydrochloric acid), and bases (such as sodium hydroxide).

How do electrolytes affect the properties of a solution?

Electrolytes can affect the properties of a solution by altering its electrical conductivity, pH level, and other physical and chemical properties. They can also influence the rate of chemical reactions within the solution.

What happens to electrolytes when they are dissolved in water?

When electrolytes are dissolved in water, they dissociate into positively and negatively charged ions. These ions are then free to move and carry an electrical charge, allowing the solution to conduct electricity.

Why are electrolytes important in biological systems?

Electrolytes are essential for many biological processes, including nerve and muscle function, fluid balance, and pH regulation. They are also important for maintaining the proper functioning of cells and organs in the body.