Constant Velocity Motion In Train Car

In summary, the scenario of a person riding on a train undergoing constant velocity motion, where the person in the train car is unaware of the train's motion, is a thought experiment. It is not possible for the person to conduct an experiment to determine their motion without a reference point outside of the train. Even with sub-atomic particles like neutrinos, it is not possible to determine motion without a reference point. This example is not meant to be seen rigorously and there is no easy way to determine motion without a reference point.
mjacobsca
One of the scenarios that I've come across while reading about special relativity is the scenario of a person riding on a train undergoing constant velocity motion, such that the person in a train car with all windows drawn is unaware that their train car is moving at all. The car is not accelerating, there are no bumps in the road. The suggestion is that the person in the car cannot perform any experiment that allows them to determine whether they are undergoing motion or not.

My question is whether this is a thought experiment, or whether it holds true in reality? If a person could measure sub-atomic particles like neutrinos, wouldn't they be able to conduct an experiment that determines their motion? Some particles travel through the train compartment's walls. So we should be able to determine motion relative to those, right?

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
When the experiment says "windows drawn" it really means that the train is isolated from all outside stimulus.

How do you tell if it's the particle moving or the train moving? Assuming you are just sitting their with with no other reference point how can you know?

How could you conduct an experiment to deduct that? I also think that example wasn't meant to be seen so rigorously. Yeah you could use a particle to say that either or condition is true, knowing that trains travel a specific speed relative to the Earth or the ground, you can deduct that way, but if there is no other reference, you will always get stuck at having to refer to another point to compare. Imagine a single object in empty space moving at constant velocity, Is it moving or stationary?

At least that what I got from my readings...I could be totally wrong and make a fool out of myself.

There is no easy way to do anything that is difficult. Someone can not teach a fast way around, putting in the time

What is constant velocity motion in train car?

Constant velocity motion in train car refers to the movement of a train car at a steady speed in a straight line. This means that the train car is not speeding up or slowing down, and is not changing direction.

How is constant velocity motion in train car different from other types of motion?

Constant velocity motion in train car is different from other types of motion, such as acceleration or deceleration, because the train car maintains a constant speed and direction. It does not experience any changes in its velocity or acceleration.

What factors affect constant velocity motion in train car?

The main factors that affect constant velocity motion in train car are external forces, such as friction and air resistance. These forces can slow down or speed up the train car, causing it to deviate from its constant velocity.

What is the equation for calculating constant velocity motion in train car?

The equation for calculating constant velocity motion in train car is v = d/t, where v is the velocity in meters per second (m/s), d is the distance traveled in meters (m), and t is the time taken in seconds (s).

How does constant velocity motion in train car impact passenger experience?

Constant velocity motion in train car can impact passenger experience in terms of comfort and safety. When the train car is moving at a constant speed, passengers may feel less motion sickness compared to when the train is accelerating or decelerating. Constant velocity also ensures a smoother ride for passengers, reducing the risk of accidents or discomfort.