What math-y masters programs should I look at?

In summary, the speaker is trying to figure out what to apply for in the fall of 2010. They have a background in finance and have been working on Wall Street for 2 years. They are interested in a field that involves math but are not sure what they want to do long term. They are looking at masters programs in economics and statistics, but find them to be more resume boosters than rigorous programs. They are also considering a masters in pure math at City College of New York, but are concerned about housing expenses in NYC. The speaker has a math background of 3 semesters of calculus, 1 linear algebra, 1 semester of stats, 1 semester of econometrics, and 2 semesters of analysis
filter54321
I have a slightly unorthodox background and I'm trying to figure out what I should be applying to for fall 2010.

I graduated with a BS in finance in 2007 and have been working on Wall Street for 2 years (3 by next fall). I'm not entirely sure what I want to do long term but I do but it's going to involve math. While I'm interested in the subjects masters programs in economics and statistics seem to be pretty fluffy and methods-oriented. You may or may not write a thesis depending on the rigor of the program. They seem to be resume boosters and cash cows for school. If I want to blow money and sell out I'd be better off getting an MBA. I've already sat through a few years of garbage business classes so I'm not feeling that.

This leaves pure/applied math and research economics or select interdisciplinary programs at particular schools that I've never heard of. There's no way I could go straight into a math PhD and an econ PhD might be a stretch given my background so I'm really looking for masters programs that are not necessarily terminal. I don't want anything less that 3 semesters because I'd barely be situated before having to leave school again which makes stepping out of the workforce silly. I need a solid program to build my skills and give me more than a long shot on PhD. I'm not opposed to looking outside of the US either.

Right now my baseline plan is to enroll in the masters program in pure math at City College of New York (CUNY) full time. From what I understand it's long since past it's prime when Bertrand Russell was there in the 1940s but it's functional and inexpensive. My concern is that in NYC tuition isn't the primary expense, it's housing. If I'm going to blow $1000/mo on rent it only makes sense to do it at place that can be used as a "launchpad". I'm not convinced City College can deliver there (but I know nothing about how the math world works). I'm aware there's NYU, but that's easily the most overpriced school in the country.

Can anyone provide some insight beyond a top 25 list?

Math background:
3 semesters of calculus
1 linear algebra (passed on a pass/fail basis) :(
1 semester of stats
1 semester of econometrics (Gaussian proofs galore)
2 semesters of analysis/advanced calculus (currently doing this part time)
Possibly one semester of differential equations this coming spring.

I took the GRE on a lark in 2008 and got a 700-something on the quantitative portion which was 85th percentile. It's good but not mind-blowing. I hadn't done any math in over two years at that point.

Physics news on Phys.org
generally the requirement for enrolling in Masters for Pure Mathematics is:

2 courses in analysis
2 in abstract algebra
1 in topology

I'm not sure how fruitful differential equation is for Pure Mathematics. You should take abstract or topology instead.

similar for Advanced Calculus. Isn't it supposed to be an "applied" course?

I would suggest looking into master's programs in applied mathematics, computational mathematics, or mathematical modeling. These programs will allow you to use your background in finance and economics while also incorporating advanced math skills. They may also have a more practical and hands-on approach, which could be beneficial if you are looking to apply your skills in industry rather than pursuing a PhD.

Additionally, you may want to consider interdisciplinary programs that combine math with another field, such as economics or finance. This could provide a unique and marketable skill set.

It's also important to research the reputation and rigor of the program you are considering, as well as the job placement rate for graduates. This will give you a better idea of the value and potential opportunities that the program can offer.

Finally, don't discount the value of networking and reaching out to professionals in the field you are interested in. They may be able to provide valuable insights and recommendations for specific programs or opportunities that align with your goals and background. Good luck in your search!

1. What are the prerequisites for a math-y masters program?

The prerequisites for a math-y masters program vary depending on the specific program and institution. However, most programs require a strong foundation in undergraduate mathematics courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some programs may also require coursework in areas such as real analysis, abstract algebra, and statistics.

2. What types of math-y masters programs are available?

There are various types of math-y masters programs, including pure mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics, and financial mathematics. Each program may have a different focus and may require different prerequisites, so it is important to research and carefully consider which program aligns with your interests and career goals.

3. How do I choose the right math-y masters program for me?

Choosing the right math-y masters program involves considering several factors, such as the program's curriculum, faculty expertise, research opportunities, and location. It is also important to carefully review the program's admission requirements and consider your own academic strengths and interests. It can be helpful to speak with current students or alumni of the program to gain insight into their experiences.

4. Can I pursue a math-y masters program if I did not major in mathematics in my undergraduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a math-y masters program even if you did not major in mathematics in your undergraduate studies. However, it may require completing additional prerequisite coursework to ensure you have the necessary background for the program. It is important to research the specific program's admission requirements and speak with an advisor to determine the best path forward.

5. What are some reputable institutions for math-y masters programs?

There are many reputable institutions that offer math-y masters programs, both in the United States and internationally. Some examples include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California Berkeley, Harvard University, and Oxford University. It is important to research and compare different institutions to find the best fit for your interests and career goals.