Determining the weight of an object, given force to move it

In summary, the problem involves determining the weight of a block after a weight has been added and the block requires 5.7 N of force to move at a constant acceleration. The friction coefficient of the block, determined in the first part of the problem, is .3625 and the equations used include w=mg, f=uN, and u=f/N. To find the total weight of the block, the friction coefficient is set up as N=f/u. However, the question may also be interpreted as asking for the weight added to the block.
Bearbull24.5

Homework Statement

This is the second part of a problem. In the first problem I determined friction coefficient of an 8N block requiring 2.9 N of force to move is .3625.

The second part of this problem asks: If a weight is added to the block and it now requires 5.7 N to move both at a constant acceleration, what would the weight of the block be?

Homework Equations

w=mg
f=uN
u=f/N

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the friction coefficient I found in the first problem and set it up as N=f/u. This provided me with the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bearbull24.5 said:
I attempted to use the friction coefficient I found in the first problem and set it up as N=f/u. This provided me with the wrong answer.
That method should work just fine, assuming you understand how N relates to the answer they want. Are they asking you to provide the amount of weight added to the block?

Doc Al said:
That method should work just fine, assuming you understand how N relates to the answer they want. Are they asking you to provide the amount of weight added to the block?

The way the question is set up I believe they want the total weight

Bearbull24.5 said:
The way the question is set up I believe they want the total weight
To get the total weight of the block plus whatever was added, the method you showed would be correct.

The wording of the question seemed a bit ambiguous to me--they could also have been asking for the weight added to the block.

1. How do you calculate the weight of an object?

To calculate the weight of an object, you need to know the force applied to move it and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for calculating weight is weight = mass x acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can the weight of an object change?

Yes, the weight of an object can change depending on the force applied to it or its location in the universe. However, the mass of an object remains constant.

3. What is the unit of measurement for weight?

The unit of measurement for weight is Newtons (N). However, in everyday life, weight is often measured in pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg).

4. How does air resistance affect the weight of an object?

Air resistance can affect an object's weight by creating an opposing force that works against gravity. This can make the object feel lighter or heavier, depending on the direction of the force.

5. Is weight the same as mass?

No, weight and mass are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. This means that an object's mass will remain the same regardless of location, but its weight can change depending on the gravitational pull of its environment.