What Causes Mass? | Recent Nobel Prize Winner

• Thread starter mwinaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, gluon pairs popping into and out of existence within the empty space between quarks is responsible for 90% of an object's mass, while the Higgs field contributes only 1%. This discovery was awarded a Nobel Prize in 2004. The rest of the mass is accounted for by the energy that binds the quarks together through the strong interaction. This concept challenges the traditional idea of particles having intrinsic rest mass and suggests that all mass may actually be trapped energy.
mwinaz
I heard Higgs recently say that the Higgs field is only responsible for 1 percent of an object's mass. I think I've also heard recently that gluon pairs popping into and out of existence is responsible for 80% of an object's mass. I think this discovery was awarded a recent Nobel Prize.

I want to know what are the different contributions or causes of an object's mass. Not an easy question, but please discuss.

Physics news on Phys.org
mwinaz said:
...I think I've also heard recently that gluon pairs popping into and out of existence is responsible for 80% of an object's mass. I think this discovery was awarded a recent Nobel Prize.

Could you provide a source for that claim? Not that it's wrong, just would like to read it.

In this lecture at time 20:40, Lawrence Krauss says that 90% of the mass of a proton is from virtual particles coming into and out of existence within the empty space between quarks. Because objects are mostly made of protons and neutrons, 90% of object's mass is from this empty space between quarks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo&feature=player_embedded

Also here...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16095-its-confirmed-matter-is-merely-vacuum-fluctuations.html

Last edited:
Thanks, I will view it.

OK. So I'm thinking 90% of an object's mass is due to virtual particles popping into and out of existence from nothing. 1% is from Higgs. What is responsible for the other 9%?

I'm confused, wouldn't that mean empty space has mass as well? Thought virtual particles popped in and out everywhere.

DLuckyE said:
I'm confused, wouldn't that mean empty space has mass as well? Thought virtual particles popped in and out everywhere.

That is true - Maybe Krauss is referring to gluons?

never thought of mass comming from inside quarks

I'm fond of this article by Brian Hayes in American Scientist, which addresses this issue in a non-technical way, and doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the previous thread. I think it is publicly accessible (I can't tell because the site recognizes my ip as an "Institutional Licensee"), but if not, the author http://bit-player.org/bph-publications/AmSci-2008-11-Hayes-QCD/AmSci-2008-11-Hayes-QCD.pdf a pdf on his Web site as well.

QCD computations have shown that the three quarks inside a proton account for only about 1 percent of the proton's measured mass; all the rest of the mass comes from the energy that binds the quarks together.

The "recent Nobel prize" is presumably that awarded to Gross, Politzer and Wilczek in 2004 for the discovery of QCD (or, technically, "for the discovery of asymptotic freedom in the theory of the strong interaction").

Last edited by a moderator:
daschaich said:
I'm fond of this article by Brian Hayes in American Scientist, which addresses this issue in a non-technical way, and doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the previous thread. I think it is publicly accessible (I can't tell because the site recognizes my ip as an "Institutional Licensee"), but if not, the author http://bit-player.org/bph-publications/AmSci-2008-11-Hayes-QCD/AmSci-2008-11-Hayes-QCD.pdf a pdf on his Web site as well.

The "recent Nobel prize" is presumably that awarded to Gross, Politzer and Wilczek in 2004 for the discovery of QCD (or, technically, "for the discovery of asymptotic freedom in the theory of the strong interaction").

Going out-on-the-limb here, but is this to suggest gluon's have a direct and definitive role in what we know as "mass"?

Last edited by a moderator:
pallidin said:
Going out-on-the-limb here, but is this to suggest gluon's have a direct and definitive role in what we know as "mass"?

You could probably say that, depending on what you mean by "role", what you mean by "direct" and what you mean by "definitive".

I joke, but I'm really not sure what exactly you're asking. As was discussed in the older thread Kevin_Axion linked, the role of the strong interaction in the mass of hadrons has been well-known for a long time.

The total vacuum energy of virtual gluons and quarks/anti-quarks - which manifest and combine to form mesons and baryons momentarily constitutes the majority of the mass.

Kevin_Axion said:
The total vacuum energy of virtual gluons and quarks/anti-quarks - which manifest and combine to form mesons and baryons momentarily constitutes the majority of the mass.

So basically, does this mean that there is no mass there, there is only energy which is seen as mass at the level of the protons, neutrons, etc. because it is bound inside the baryon?

[tex]E=mc^2[/tex]... where there's energy, there's mass. But maybe that's what you meant by "energy which is seen as mass".

daschaich said:
But maybe that's what you meant by "energy which is seen as mass".

Yes, of course.

But we have this idea of particles that HAVE rest mass as a concept distinct from energy and that mass can be converted to energy using the above formula.

It seems like in the case of baryons, for example, that the energy is trapped inside the baryon in an energy state rather than in a particle-with-mass state. This is very different than the mass for the quarks themselves which is supposed to be something intrinsic that comes from interactions with the Higg's field.

Makes one sort of wonder if all mass isn't really energy trapped in some fashion inside the particles, even in the case of the quarks themselves and fermions, and that perhaps the line between mass and energy is not so distinct as we once thought.

1. What exactly is mass and how is it defined?

Mass is a fundamental property of matter that measures the amount of matter in an object. It is commonly defined as the resistance of an object to acceleration when a force is applied to it.

2. What causes mass to exist in the first place?

The origin of mass has been a long-standing mystery in physics. In the Standard Model of particle physics, mass is attributed to the Higgs field, which is a field that permeates all of space. Particles interact with this field to gain mass and become slower-moving and heavier.

3. How is mass related to energy?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², mass and energy are interchangeable and directly proportional to each other. This means that mass can be converted into energy and vice versa.

4. What role did the recent Nobel Prize winner play in understanding the nature of mass?

The 2021 Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to three scientists, Roger Penrose, Reinhard Genzel, and Andrea Ghez, for their contributions to our understanding of the black hole and its role in the formation of galaxies. Their work also provided evidence for the existence of dark matter, which contributes to the mass of the universe.

5. How does the discovery of the Higgs boson relate to our understanding of mass?

The Higgs boson, a subatomic particle predicted by the Standard Model, was discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider. Its existence confirmed the role of the Higgs field in giving particles mass and furthered our understanding of the fundamental forces of the universe.