How to calculate the amount of electricity being produced.

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem about a car producing electricity through its circular hood emblem. The speaker, who now owns a Mercedes, wants to figure out the amount of electricity produced while driving at a certain velocity. They mention needing to measure the circumference and substitute for the three inner "spokes". Expert advice suggests treating each triangular hole as a separate loop and considering the area and speed of the car. The Earth's magnetic field is also mentioned as a factor.
JDLTX
Back in my physics class in high school, we had a homework problem that stated a car had a circular hood emblem (pretty much a Mercedes-Benz hood star) and that when the car was in motion it would produce electricity due to magnetic waves going through it while it was in motion.

I now own a Mercedes and would like to try and actually figure out how much electricity is produced when I drive at a certain velocity, I'm in no way expecting to find out it produces as much as a nuclear power plant lol but I'm just curious and think it would be pretty fun to figure out, the only problem is I don't remember the exact steps to go about figuring this out. Can anyone help? I know I need to measure the circumference, but how do I substitute for the three inner "spokes"? Also what steps would follow this?

The object in question:
286456366_d5c7bc4c59.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You would treat each triangular hole as a separate loop (assuming the points of the star were connected electrically to the rim)

Then it's just a question of the area of each of these loops, with one turn each, and the speed of the car. The Earth's magnetic field is around 50microT for mid latitudes

NobodySpecial said:
You would treat each triangular hole as a separate loop (assuming the points of the star were connected electrically to the rim)

Then it's just a question of the area of each of these loops, with one turn each, and the speed of the car. The Earth's magnetic field is around 50microT for mid latitudes

Moving a loop of wire through a magnetic field with constant velocity. You only produce electricity if the magnetix flux through the loop changes, so you'd have to turn the car.

1. How is electricity production calculated?

Electricity production is typically calculated by multiplying the power output of a generator or power plant by the amount of time it is in operation. This can be measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) or megawatt-hours (MWh).

2. What factors affect the amount of electricity produced?

The amount of electricity produced can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and efficiency of the power source, the amount of fuel or energy input, and any external factors such as weather or maintenance issues.

3. How do you determine the efficiency of electricity production?

The efficiency of electricity production can be determined by dividing the amount of electricity produced by the amount of energy input. This can be expressed as a percentage or decimal value, with higher values indicating higher efficiency.

4. Can you calculate the amount of electricity produced in real time?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the amount of electricity being produced in real time by continuously monitoring the power output of the source and the duration of its operation. This information can be used to track changes in production and identify any issues that may arise.

5. How can electricity production be measured on a larger scale?

Electricity production on a larger scale can be measured by combining the output of multiple power sources and monitoring the overall production over a given period of time. This can also include measuring the electricity being fed into a larger grid or network.