Does the wall get somewhat warped from me pushing it?

• Thread starter Anonymous9001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, your teacher is correct that if something is made thin enough, it will be see through. However, the more thin the material is, the less light will get through.
Anonymous9001
Although I do not remember the name of such question I am asking I am able to describe it in a sense. My Physics teacher had tried explaining and I was unable to conceive it, but maybe someone else can put it in laymen terms I suppose?

I walk against the ground applying 100 N (random amount) and the ground shifts from 0 N applied to 100 N upward from where I am standing, how exactly does it apply the upward force? What force is it that's acting on me that's 'holding' me up?
I hope I have explained this well, I am pretty tired from my Algebra 2 homework so I am unable to completely think clearly.

Another example of what I am asking/needing further help on: I push against a wall of 5 N, and the wall pushes me back of 5 N, where does this force come from and how does it push me back? Does the wall not get somewhat warped from me pushing it?

Something else that has me perplexed would be that my teacher said if you made something thin enough it would be see through no matter what the material was, so I had asked her if the wall had no paint and had been cut down to the thinnest possible but able to stand firm it would be like a glass window? She responded yes, maybe someone can help me perceive the complexities of science and such, but if it's a strenuous task to do so, please do not answer the question just say so and I'll figure it out somewhere else, I thank you all for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org

Anonymous9001 said:
Does the wall get somewhat warped from me pushing it?
Yes, it's similar to a very stiff spring, the wall or the ground compresses a small amount when there's a force involved.

Thank you for the quick response although not entirely explaining what I asked in the previous comment, I greatly (I seriously mean greatly) appreciate your answer.

Anonymous9001 said:
Made something thin enough it would be see through.
If the coating on a mirror is made very thin, you get partial transparency, it's partially reflective and partially see through.

Welcome to PF, Anonymouse9001.
The basic answer as to what is holding you back is the mutual repulsion of electrons. Electrons are negatively charged and in "orbit", as opposed to the positive protons in the nucleus. Since like charges repel, two atoms approaching each other tend to not cohabitate. You would have to figure out some way to exceed the "electron degeneracy pressure" in order to make them merge.
As for the transparency issue, opacity or reflectivity (aspects of the same thing) is based upon the absorbtion and re-emission of photons from a particular atomic structure. The thinner the material, the fewer atoms there are between the source and the observer. Your teacher is correct, but it is something that is very hard to explain.

Try to shine a light through a book. Most likely none of the light will go through it. If you shine it through just a few pages of the book, some light will get through. Even more will get through just one sheet.

It pretty much works that way with every material.

You can always go thinner, until you reach one atom of thickness. One atom thick is VERY thin. Considering that atoms are mostly empty space, it's not hard to see how light would get through.

Thank you all for your answers, I understand now.

Anonymous9001 said:
I understand now.

Good. Now go shake hands with your teacher and tell him to get his butt onto this site where he can help a lot more kids than he can within the bounds of schoolroom walls. :biggrin:

1. Does the wall actually physically warp from me pushing it?

No, the wall does not physically warp from you pushing it. The wall is made of solid materials such as concrete, brick, or drywall, which are designed to withstand pressure and maintain their shape.

2. Can pushing on the wall cause any damage?

Pushing on the wall may not cause any visible damage, but it can put stress on the wall and potentially cause cracks or weakening of the structure over time. It is important to avoid pushing on walls, especially in older buildings.

3. Will the wall move at all when I push on it?

The wall may slightly shift or give a little when you push on it, but it will not move significantly. This is because the wall is attached to the frame of the building, which provides stability and prevents it from moving.

4. How much force would it take to actually warp the wall?

It would take an immense amount of force to actually warp the wall. As mentioned before, the wall is made of solid materials and is designed to withstand pressure. It is unlikely that a person could generate enough force to warp the wall.

5. Are there any long-term effects of pushing on the wall?

As mentioned earlier, pushing on the wall can potentially cause damage over time. It is important to avoid pushing on walls, as it can weaken the structure and lead to cracks or other issues. Additionally, constantly pushing on the wall can create a habit that may be difficult to break and can be disruptive to others around you.