Proving Order of Cyclic Group with Elements a & b is Finite

In summary, to show that the order of ba is also n when the order of ab is n, use the trick (ab)(ab)...(ab) = a(ba)(ba)...(ba)b and regroup it as a(ba)(ba)b = e. Then, assume there is a smaller integer k such that (ba)^k = e, which leads to (ab)^k = e, contradicting that n is the smallest integer satisfying (ab)^n = e. Therefore, k = n and the order of ba is also n.
Metahominid

Homework Statement

G is a group. Let a,b be elements of G. If order(ab) is a finite number n, show order(ba) = n as well.

Homework Equations

order(a) = order(<a>) where <a> is the cyclic group generated by a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know. I thought it may be related to how that if a finite cyclic group has order n it is isomorphic to (Zn,+n). Any hints would be good.

Physics news on Phys.org
For an elementary proof, you could use this trick:

[tex](ab)(ab)...(ab) = a(ba)(ba)...(ba)b[/tex]

k parenthesized terms on the left side <--> k-1 on the right

If ab has order 3 then (ab)(ab)(ab)=e. Regroup that as a(ba)(ba)b=e. Think about that.

Hey, sorry it took me so long to reply. Thank you so much. I chose (ba)^n+1 = b((ab)^n)a = b(e)a =ba, so I took the inverse and got (ba)^n = e. I know I need to prove that n is the smallest integer s.t. that is true, so I assumed there was a k < n s.t. (ba)^k = e. Then I know this implies that (ab)^k = e as well, which is a contradiction so therefore k = n. Thanks again.

1. How do you define a cyclic group with elements a & b?

A cyclic group with elements a & b is a group that can be generated by a single element, known as the generator. This means that all elements in the group can be expressed as powers of the generator, and the group is closed under multiplication.

2. What is meant by the order of a cyclic group?

The order of a cyclic group is the number of elements in the group. In other words, it is the number of times the generator needs to be multiplied by itself to produce all the elements in the group.

3. How do you prove that the order of a cyclic group with elements a & b is finite?

To prove that the order of a cyclic group with elements a & b is finite, we need to show that there is a finite number of elements in the group. This can be done by showing that the group repeats itself after a certain number of elements, or by finding a pattern in the elements that indicates a finite number.

4. What is the significance of proving the order of a cyclic group?

Proving the order of a cyclic group is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of the group. It also allows us to make predictions about the group and its elements, and can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications.

5. Can the order of a cyclic group be infinite?

No, the order of a cyclic group cannot be infinite. This is because a cyclic group is generated by a single element, and the number of elements in the group is always a finite number of powers of that element. However, the order can be arbitrarily large depending on the values of a & b.