Reissner-Nordström metric for magnetic fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the Reissner-Nordström metric for a charged gravitating body with a magnetic field. The formula for a magnetic monopole on the body involves replacing Q^2 with Q^2+P^2, where P is the charge of the monopole. The group also discusses the possibility of building in a homogeneous magnetic field, but it is noted that this would have to be provided by the background. A suggested solution is to adapt the derivation in a linked paper.
Gavroy
hey,

does anyone of you know the reissner-nordström metric, if there is a magnetic field instead of the coulomb field of a charged gravitating body?

i just need the formula, but i could not find it in the internet, maybe someone here knows it?

sorry for my english, but i am german :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks, but i wanted to build in a homogenous magnetic field. does anyone have another idea?

It should be possible to adapt the derivation in the paper i linked to, to a homogeneous magnetic field.
But this is not really sensible, as this magnetic field would have to be provided by the background.

okay, i will try it thank you!

1. What is the Reissner-Nordström metric for magnetic fields?

The Reissner-Nordström metric for magnetic fields is a solution to the Einstein-Maxwell equations, which describe the behavior of electrically charged and magnetized bodies in the presence of gravity. It is a generalization of the well-known Reissner-Nordström metric, which describes the spacetime around a charged, non-rotating black hole.

2. How does the Reissner-Nordström metric for magnetic fields differ from the original Reissner-Nordström metric?

The main difference between the two metrics is that the Reissner-Nordström metric for magnetic fields takes into account the effects of a magnetic field, in addition to an electric field, on the spacetime around a charged black hole. This results in a more complex and non-symmetric metric.

3. What physical phenomena does the Reissner-Nordström metric for magnetic fields describe?

The Reissner-Nordström metric for magnetic fields is primarily used to study the behavior of charged and magnetized black holes, as well as other astrophysical objects such as neutron stars. It also has applications in theoretical physics, for example in the study of the electromagnetic properties of black holes.

4. Can the Reissner-Nordström metric for magnetic fields be applied to other types of magnetic fields?

Yes, the Reissner-Nordström metric for magnetic fields can be used to describe the spacetime around any type of magnetic field, as long as it is static and spherically symmetric. This includes both astrophysical and laboratory magnetic fields.

5. Are there any known limitations or criticisms of the Reissner-Nordström metric for magnetic fields?

One criticism of the metric is that it does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics, which may be important at small length scales. Additionally, the metric does not account for the presence of other fields, such as gravitational or electromagnetic waves, which may affect the behavior of the magnetic field. Finally, the metric is only valid for stationary and spherically symmetric spacetimes, which limits its applicability in certain scenarios.