Even light would take an infinite time

In summary, PAM Dirac discusses in his monograph "General Theory of Relativity" about the infinite time it would take for a light signal to cross the boundary r = 2m. This can be easily checked using the Schwarzschild solution for a particle with a static metric. The time of transit is governed by a log function of the radius and is infinite for a fixed observer. However, the constancy of the speed of light is true locally and needs to be converted using the metric to measure local time and distance. To calculate local radial distance, put dt=d\phi=d\theta=0 in the metric, and to calculate local time, put dr=d\phi=d\theta=0 in the metric.
goedelite
Thus wrote PAM Dirac in his little monograph, "General Theory of Relativity", p.34t. More fully, "Even a light signal would take an infinite time to cross the boundary r = 2m, as we can easily check."

Yes, we can, and I did easily by setting ds = 0 in the Schwarzschild solution for a particle described by radially symmetric coordinates with a static metric. The time for transit is governed by a log function of the radius, r, for an observer in the fixed coordinate system and is infinite for him (or her!)

Please someone, kindly explain how this result is consistent with the constancy of the speed of light. The distance to the point at which r = 2m is a determined quantity. If the speed of light does not change, how can the time to traverse it be other than finite for the fixed observer?

Physics news on Phys.org
The constancy of the speed of light is true locally.

Vanadium 50: Thanks you your reply, but I find it too concise for my understanding. I was under the impression that one of the two principles of relativity in the constancy of the speed of light. I have not, until now, read that the speed of light is constant locally. I do not know what locally means in this regard. In the context of my question, the fixed observer is using a coordinate system that describes events in the three space r > 2m. In this locality, the time of transit grows without limit as the light approaches r = 2m + . I am making no reference to what happens inside this region, because the coordinates are not used therein - though the solution is analytically continued. Why is this external sphere not in his locality?

goedelite said:
If the speed of light does not change, how can the time to traverse it be other than finite for the fixed observer?
Because the Schwarzschild t coordinate does not measure local time, and the Schwarzschild r coordinate does not measure local distance. Both need to be converted (using the metric) before you can measure the local speed of light, which is always c.

To calculate local radial distance (for a local hovering observer), put [itex]dt=d\phi=d\theta=0[/itex] in the metric.

To calculate local time (for a local hovering observer), put [itex]dr=d\phi=d\theta=0[/itex] in the metric.

Last edited:
Dr Greg, I think I see what you mean: we can say dx = c dt, but to integrate to finite distances we must use the metric, and that is where the time interval grows without bound. Thanks much!

1. What does it mean when we say "even light would take an infinite time"?

This statement refers to the concept of infinite time, where an event or action would take an infinite amount of time to occur. In the case of light, it is used to illustrate the concept of how even the fastest and most fundamental particle in the universe, light, would take an infinite amount of time to travel a certain distance.

2. Why is it impossible for light to travel an infinite distance in a finite amount of time?

This is due to the fact that light has a finite speed, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This means that no matter how far light travels, it can only go as fast as its speed allows, and therefore it would take an infinite amount of time to reach an infinite distance.

3. Does this mean that light can never reach the end of the universe?

Yes, according to our current understanding of the universe and the speed of light, it is impossible for light to reach the end of the universe as it would take an infinite amount of time to do so. However, it is worth noting that the universe is constantly expanding, so the concept of an "end" may not even exist.

4. Is there anything that can travel faster than light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe. Therefore, it is currently believed that nothing can travel faster than light.

5. How does the concept of infinite time impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of infinite time has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that the universe has no beginning or end, and that time and space are infinite. This challenges our traditional understanding of time and raises questions about the nature of the universe and our place within it.