What kind of work is involved in engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of choosing a major in engineering and what goes into studying and working in the field. The main subjects required in college include math, physics, drafting/CAD, and specialization in a specific branch of engineering. The first year of an engineering degree is generally the same, but in later years, courses become more specific to the chosen field. The type of work done in engineering depends on the career path chosen and the individual's specialization within the field.
ejs16205
I'm a junior in high school and am trying to figure out what I want to do for a major in college. I always said I wanted to get into engineering but I'm not really sure what kind of work goes into it. I know that there is a lot of math and science and those are my two favorite subjects in school, always have been. But I am curious as to what else goes into it. It would be much appreciated if people who are already in or going into engineering responded to this.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I went into engineering because math and science were my favorite subjects in school. In college, much math and physics subjects are required, including 4 years of calculus/differential equations; a year or 2 of physics (mechanics, electromagnetism, and waves), then statics, dynamics, and electric circuit courses, Fluids, and Thermodynamics. And drafting/CAD. Then you specialize after 2 years in the engineering branch of your choice (Civil/Structural/Environmental/Electrical/ Chemical, Mechanical, etc.). At least that's how it was in my day, and i don't think it has changed much, except for the use of computers.

What type of engineering are you most interested in?

I'm still trying to decide, my boyfriend is majoring in computer engineering and I kind of like that, but I wanted to do aerospace, I'm still looking into different types of engineering though.

In general the first year of an engineering B.S. is the same across most degrees, lots of math and science and the bac core classes. sophomore year things start to change, the chemical/biological engineers take more chem classes, the civil/mechanical/manufacturing engineers take more hard physics, electrical/computer/CS take physics and CS, and the engineering management guys take more business ish classes. JR year is where you get a lot of fundamentals in your chosen field, usually by then you have to choose a specialty. Sr year is all about your specialty and any bac core you missed.

As for what you do in industry depends on what kind of career path you want, and you won't know that for a while anyway (people change majors all the time).

In real world engineering there is a "design cycle" and you kind of decide where you want to fit into that cycle (it looks a bit different in each field, I'm a EE/CpE so mine may differ from aerospace)
1 product conceptual design (engineering management)
2 actual design of the product (design engineering)
3 design verification and validation (product engineering)
4 qualification (test engineering) and manufacturing (manufacturing engineering and engineering management)

I can provide some insight into the type of work that is involved in engineering. Engineering is a broad field that involves the application of science, math, and technology to solve real-world problems. It requires a strong understanding of math and science, but also involves creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.

Some specific tasks that engineers may be involved in include designing, building, and testing new products or systems, conducting research and experiments, analyzing data, and using computer software to model and simulate designs. Depending on the specific field of engineering, engineers may work on a variety of projects, such as developing new medical devices, designing sustainable buildings, or improving transportation systems.

In addition to technical skills, engineers also need strong communication and teamwork skills as they often work in multidisciplinary teams to bring projects to fruition. They also need to be able to think critically and adapt to changing circumstances, as engineering projects often involve unexpected challenges and setbacks.

Overall, engineering is a dynamic and challenging field that offers a wide range of opportunities for those who are passionate about math, science, and problem-solving. I would encourage you to continue exploring engineering and to speak with engineers in different fields to gain a better understanding of the type of work they do. Good luck in your college search!

1. What exactly does an engineer do?

An engineer is a professional who uses scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, and other systems. They may work in a variety of fields including mechanical, electrical, civil, biomedical, and chemical engineering.

2. What skills are required for a career in engineering?

Engineers must have a strong foundation in math, science, and problem-solving. They also need to be creative, detail-oriented, and able to communicate effectively. Additionally, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software and project management is important for many engineering roles.

3. What type of projects do engineers typically work on?

Engineers can work on a wide range of projects, from developing new technologies to designing infrastructure and systems. For example, an engineer might design a new car engine, develop a more efficient solar panel, or plan the layout of a new city's roads and bridges.

4. Do engineers work alone or in teams?

Engineers often work in teams, collaborating with other engineers, scientists, and professionals to complete complex projects. However, there are also opportunities for engineers to work independently, especially in research and development roles.

5. Is a career in engineering financially rewarding?

Engineering is known for being a financially rewarding career. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for engineers in the United States was $91,010 in 2020. However, salaries can vary depending on the specific field of engineering, level of education, and years of experience.