Math's books for self-learning

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to develop a strong understanding of mathematics, with particular interest in algebra, topology, complex analysis, and partial differential equations. The individual is looking for book recommendations and resources to guide their studies, and there are suggestions for specific books and methods for searching for more resources. The potential benefits of learning mathematics and physics simultaneously are also mentioned.
tameree
Hi,

I am looking to develop my mathematical mind as much as possible. The "highest" classes I have taken are Calculus I & II as well as linear algebra. I'd be looking for either a bunch of books or some sort of guide (similar to the guide "How to become a good theoretical physicist" for physics) that ranges from algebra up to topology, complex analysis and partial differential equations.

Basically, I want to master as much of the mathematical field as I can. I'd also be interested in a book (if any exists) that teaches maths at the same time as physics, as I think that learning one reinforces the other. (Is that what's called "Mathematical physics"?)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the standard book for mathematical methods of physics is still "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Boas.

For pure math, check out http://hbpms.blogspot.com/" . Someone posted it a while back, and it seems to be a really comprehensive list of books.

Last edited by a moderator:
That link davesface posted list very many books, when you need only two or three books for each subject. And I see it doesn't list some books I would have listed. But it still seems very useful.

tameree, do you know you can search this forum for books? E.g. if you want recommendations for algebra books, search the Science Book Discussion forum for algebra, and you get this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=2676705
For example, you will come across this previous thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=102493&highlight=algebra
and many others.

Also, it's a good idea to go to the library and just look through books and see for yourself which books you want to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there;

As a first book to go from what you know now to what you're trying to learn, I'd recommend a more theoretical treatment of linear algebra than the one you're familiar with (unless you took a theoretical linear algebra course).

Valenza's book is excellent, and while I haven't read all of it, I think Halmos' book (Finite-Dimensional Vector Spaces) covers similar material.

You may also want to read a theoretical treatment of vector calculus. For this, I recommend Hubbard & Hubbard, as it's a great transition from the more computational to the more theoretical. It's a great complement when read with a dense book like Spivak's 'Calculus on Manifolds'. From there you can dive into topology with Munkres.

Thanks for the quick responses guys,

I will definitely take a look into those books you mentioned.

I bought a used copy of "The Road to Reality" on amazon for a few bucks, has anyone read it? How would you rate it in terms of accessibility?

It's a good book, Penrose is a great writer. There's a whole lot of material in it; you'd probably want other books for each subject as well.

Thanks Gingia;

That's actually what I'm planning to do, get introduced to subjects with Penrose's book and read specific textbooks when I still feel I want to learn more or certain subjects

What are the most popular books for self-learning math?

The most popular books for self-learning math are "The Art of Problem Solving" by Richard Rusczyk, "Calculus" by James Stewart, "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" by John B. Fraleigh, "Linear Algebra" by David C. Lay, and "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth H. Rosen.

Do I need any prior knowledge to use math's books for self-learning?

It depends on the book you choose. Some books may assume prior knowledge, while others are designed for beginners. It is essential to carefully read the book's description and reviews before purchasing to ensure it aligns with your skill level.

Can I use math's books for self-learning if I am not a student?

Yes, math's books for self-learning are not limited to students. They can be used by anyone interested in learning or improving their math skills. These books are also suitable for professionals and hobbyists.

Are there any online resources that can supplement math's books for self-learning?

Yes, there are various online resources such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and EdX that offer free or paid courses and tutorials on various math topics. These resources can be used to supplement the content found in math's books for self-learning.

Are math's books for self-learning effective?

The effectiveness of math's books for self-learning depends on the individual's learning style and dedication. Some people may find self-learning through books challenging, while others may thrive on it. It is essential to have a strong motivation and discipline to effectively learn from math's books for self-learning.