Books to help with math in Jackson and group theory

In summary, the speaker is self-studying Jackson's Electrodynamics and is having difficulty with the vector manipulations and special functions. They are considering using Arfken's book for help. They also mention wanting to self-study group theory but are unsure if they should wait and study it in the context of a physics course. They are also looking for resources that provide math in the context of physics.
creepypasta13
So I'm currently self-studying Jackson's Electrodynamics. The math for my undergrad physics was no problem at all for me as I had a strong background in DEs, PDEs, linear algebra, etc. I haven't looked too much into Jackson so far, but it seems I'm having the most difficulty is just keeping up with all the tedious vector manipulations and special functions. Would I need a book like Arfken's to help a lot with this later on? I don't think Boas would help much since the last time I saw it, it seemed to basic for me. But I didn't see the special functions section of it.

Also, I'm hoping to be able to self study some group theory this summer as well. I have no background in it and have very little knowledge of Abstract Algebra (I audited a course in it for a few weeks, but this was years ago). I don't know yet if I want to go into QFT, solid-state, etc. I heard Tinkham is good for beginners, but its based for solid state physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arfken will definitely help for Jackson.

You may want to look at Franklin, "Classical Electromagnetism", which covers the Jackson material, but includes the math background in the text.

You may want to wait with Group Theory, to study it in the context of a physics course.
Math GT is quite different than its use in physics.
What you seem to need most is math in the context of physics.

What is group theory and how is it related to math?

Group theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the properties of groups, which are mathematical structures that consist of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines two elements to form a third. It is related to math as it provides a framework for understanding symmetry and patterns in mathematics.

What are some good books to help with learning group theory?

Some popular books on group theory include "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, "A Course in Group Theory" by John F. Humphreys, and "Group Theory: A First Journey" by David Hobby and Maria-Alessandra Ragusa.

How can group theory be applied in real life?

Group theory has many applications in real life, including in chemistry, physics, cryptography, and coding theory. For example, group theory is used in chemistry to classify molecules according to their symmetries, and in physics to describe the fundamental forces of nature.

Is group theory a difficult subject to learn?

Like any branch of math, group theory can be challenging to learn. It requires a solid understanding of abstract algebra and can involve complex concepts and proofs. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn group theory.

Are there any online resources or study groups for learning group theory?

Yes, there are many online resources and study groups available for learning group theory. Some popular resources include online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX, as well as math forums and study groups on social media platforms like Reddit and Facebook.