Pushing against fabric vs wall

In summary, when a piece of fabric is stretched out and a finger is pushed into it with a force of 5N, the fabric will push back with 5N of force due to the stretching and compression of molecular bonds. This is also why a wall can push back with 5N of force even though it doesn't stretch - it compresses the molecular bonds on its surface, acting like a giant horizontal spring.
UrbanXrisis
If a piece of fabric was stretched out, and I pushed my finger into the fabric with a force of 5N, the fabric will push back the 5N because of its potential energy. correct?

So what if I did the the same thing and pushed my finger agaist a wall? The wall doesn't stretch but it still pushs back with 5N. How does it know to puch back 5N on my finger?

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm, seems to me that if it didnt push back at 5 N it would either throw you back or you would break the wall.

hahaha, I never knew I was that strong. Why does the fabric have to stretch to produce the 5N?

UrbanXrisis said:
If a piece of fabric was stretched out, and I pushed my finger into the fabric with a force of 5N, the fabric will push back the 5N because of its potential energy. correct?
I assume you are asking: What is going on with the fabric that allows it to push with 5N of force? When you push the fabric, you are stretching the molecular bonds--like little springs--which resist that distortion.

So what if I did the the same thing and pushed my finger agaist a wall? The wall doesn't stretch but it still pushs back with 5N. How does it know to puch back 5N on my finger?
Ah, but the wall compresses. When you push on the wall, you are compressing those molecular "springs" that constitute the surface of the wall.

Pretend it's a horizontal spring on a table. If you push on it (horizontally) with a constant force, it will be compressed, but eventually it will push back with enough force to keep your hand in equilibrium. This is because [itex]F_{spring}=-kx[/itex], where x is displacement from equilibrium position. I believe the fabric works the same.

Last edited:

1. How does pushing against fabric differ from pushing against a wall?

Pushing against fabric and pushing against a wall differ in terms of the resistance they provide. When pushing against fabric, the surface is more flexible and can move with the force applied, while pushing against a wall results in a rigid surface that does not give in to the force.

2. Why is it easier to push against a wall than against fabric?

It is easier to push against a wall because it provides a firmer and more stable surface compared to fabric, which can move and stretch with the applied force. This means that less energy is required to push against a wall compared to pushing against fabric.

3. Can pushing against fabric strengthen muscles?

Yes, pushing against fabric can strengthen muscles because it requires the muscles to work harder to overcome the resistance provided by the flexible fabric. This can help improve muscle strength and endurance over time.

4. Is there a difference in the impact on the body when pushing against fabric vs a wall?

Yes, there is a difference in the impact on the body when pushing against fabric vs a wall. Pushing against fabric can provide a more dynamic and varied workout as the fabric can stretch and move, engaging different muscles and joints. Pushing against a wall provides a more static and focused workout on specific muscle groups.

5. Can pushing against fabric improve balance and coordination?

Yes, pushing against fabric can improve balance and coordination as it requires the body to stabilize and adjust to the changing surface. This can help improve proprioception and body awareness, leading to better balance and coordination over time.