Am I spending enough time working 9-5 on my PhD or will it require more?

• Programs
  • Thread starter jeebs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Time
In summary, a PhD in particle physics at a British university may seem manageable when treated as a 9-5 job, but it can also require long and sporadic work hours, especially for those working with expensive equipment. Personal hygiene should not be neglected, as it can have negative effects on one's well-being. Some students may exaggerate their work hours and experiences, but it is important to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
jeebs
I'm doing a particle physics-based PhD at a british university and have returned a few weeks earlier than my official start date to get familiarised with what I'll be doing. I've been treating it as a 9-5 job, and doing little bits of reading etc. on nights and at the weekend.

I've heard all sorts about PhD's being a gruelling battle but right now it seems very manageable, it's not stressing me out at all. Am I devoting enough time to this or can I expect to have to kick it up a gear at some point?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have ups and downs.

One of my personal observations (in Canada) was that the people who tended to treat the PhD like a 9-5 job consistently, every day, tended to finish faster and with less stress than those who had more sporatic work schedules.

Another personal observation is that people like to talk about the worst cases they experience. So you'll talk to a graduate student who says she puts in 16 hours a day, 7 days per week, and what she could mean is that she's finishing her thesis and the deadline is two weeks away and she doesn't want to pay for another semester because her funding has run out.

There are of course, people who actually do put in insane hours on a regular basis some even to the point where personal hygene starts to suffer. And that's not good for anyone.

It's not only people trying to finish up who put in long hours. My topic often required working 16 hour days, 7 days a week, working at a lab or observatory for months at a time. When your instrument costs thousands of dollars an hour to run, you don't take any time off when it can be running. And if you're the one in charge of it, you don't get a break. And then you better get that data reduced fast or you're going to get scooped and it wouldn't have been worth the effort you just put in. My PhD took very long hours for many years; it was never a 9-5 job. Some days I took off just for mental health reasons, others I worked straight through. But I always found time to shower. :)

eri said:
But I always found time to shower. :)

This is garbage. As a physicist, you should know to state units! Please give your shower rate in showers per appropriate unit of time;)

Choppy said:
There are of course, people who actually do put in insane hours on a regular basis some even to the point where personal hygene starts to suffer. And that's not good for anyone.

lol, this was me towards the sharp end of my masters year, when the **** really hit the fan. don't want to go there again.

1. How many hours should I be working on my PhD each day?

The amount of time you should spend working on your PhD each day can vary depending on your specific program and goals. However, a general guideline is to aim for 8 hours of work per day, similar to a full-time job. This includes time spent on research, writing, and attending classes or seminars.

2. Is it normal to feel like I'm not spending enough time on my PhD?

It is common for PhD students to feel like they are not spending enough time on their studies. This can be due to the demanding nature of the program and the pressure to produce high-quality research. However, it is important to find a balance between working hard and taking breaks to avoid burnout.

3. How do I know if I am spending enough time on my PhD?

The best way to determine if you are spending enough time on your PhD is to regularly reflect on your progress and goals. If you are meeting your milestones and making progress towards your research objectives, then you are likely spending enough time on your studies. However, if you are consistently falling behind, it may be a sign that you need to adjust your schedule and dedicate more time to your PhD.

4. Will I need to work more than 9-5 on my PhD?

The amount of time you will need to work on your PhD may go beyond traditional 9-5 hours. This can vary depending on your program, research topic, and individual working style. Some students may find that they are more productive in the evenings or on weekends, while others may prefer to stick to a strict 9-5 schedule. It is important to find a schedule that works for you and allows you to make steady progress on your PhD.

5. How can I manage my time effectively while working on my PhD?

Time management is crucial for success in a PhD program. Some tips for managing your time effectively include creating a schedule, setting realistic goals, prioritizing tasks, and taking breaks to avoid burnout. It can also be helpful to communicate with your advisor or peers to get their insights on time management strategies that have worked for them.