Find the coefficient of Friction with weight and force needed to move and object

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of friction for a surface based on the force required to push a block along at constant velocity. The solution involves using the equation Ff=μ*Fn and determining the Normal Force by multiplying the weight of the block by the acceleration due to gravity. The final answer is 0.37755 or 0.0406, depending on whether the weight or force of the block is used.
trivk96

Homework Statement

A block weighing 9.3 N requires a force of
3.7 N to push it along at constant velocity.
What is the coefficient of friction for the
surface

Homework Equations

Ff=μ*Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

So the 3.7 N to push is the Force of friction so 3.7=μ*9.3
μ=3.7/9.3=.37755

Is this correct

Physics news on Phys.org
well, i think you are close. The Normal Force is equal to the force going down, that is, mass times acceleration, because this is in one dimension. That means that you actually should do Normal Force = 9.3 * 9.8. Then you divide 3.7 by the answer, which should give you 0.406.

That is what i was thinking but since it said "weigh", i thought that that was already in Newtons... in other words, it was force and it was the value for normal force. Am i missing something??

oh, that is a good point. Sorry, I didn't notice that; in that case, you are correct. And my bad, had it been the force, the answer is actually 0.0406, not 0.406. But all is well that ends well!

thanks

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless scalar value that represents the amount of resistance encountered when two surfaces come into contact and slide against each other.

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined by dividing the force required to move an object by the weight of the object. This can be done through experiments or calculations using known values.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the presence of lubricants, the temperature, and the force applied.

4. What is the relationship between weight, force, and coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is directly proportional to the force needed to move an object and inversely proportional to the weight of the object. This means that as the weight increases, the force needed to move the object will also increase, resulting in a higher coefficient of friction.

5. How is the coefficient of friction used in real-life applications?

The coefficient of friction is used in engineering and design to ensure that objects can be moved or stopped safely and efficiently. It is also used in the development of tires, brakes, and other products that require frictional forces for their function.