Moments of inertia in flywheel

In summary, the conversation is about rearranging an equation to make I (moment of inertia) the subject. The equation includes variables such as m (mass), g (gravity), h (height), v (translational speed), Tf (work done against friction), theta (angle of rotation), and w (rotational speed). The problem at hand is finding values for v and w in order to calculate the moment of inertia for a flywheel in an experiment. The conversation ends with a corrected version of the equation for I.
Hussman
I have managed to rearrange an equation give to me to make I (moment of inertia) the subject. I am now having problems working out the values for parts of it.

I = moment of inertia
m = mass
g = gravity
h = height
v = translational speed of the mass falling
Tf = work done against friction
theta = angle through which flywheel rotates in radians
w = rotational speed of the flywheel

The equation is I = (1/2mgh - mv^2 - Tf * theta) / w^2

I am finding it hard to work out a value for v and w. is 'the translational speed of mass falling (v)' is that just a fancy way of saying velocity?

I am unsure of how to find a value for w

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
v is the linear or translational speed in units of m/s

w is the angular speed in radians/s

Can you describe the problem you are trying to solve?

After getting some results from experiments in the labs from the flywheel, measuring the time it takes for a mass to fall from a set height and the critical mass. I have to determine the moment of inertia I of the flywheel and its axle to estimate the frictional torque.

The problem i am having is trying to find values for v and w. is there equations for these?

Thanks

If the mass is falling from rest and you have measured the height it fell and the time it took, you can calculate the average and final values of its speed v. And ω and v are related.

Hussman said:
The equation is I = (1/2mgh - mv^2 - Tf * theta) / w^2
You might want to double check that formula.

Ah yes didnt write it properly should be I = mgh - 1/2mv^2 - tf *theta / 1/2w^2

Thanks

1. What is a moment of inertia in a flywheel?

A moment of inertia in a flywheel refers to the resistance of the flywheel to changes in its rotational motion. It is a measure of how much force is required to accelerate or decelerate the flywheel.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a flywheel?

The moment of inertia for a flywheel can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the flywheel, and r is the radius of the flywheel.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia in a flywheel?

The moment of inertia in a flywheel is affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of mass in the flywheel. The larger the mass and the farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the higher the moment of inertia will be.

4. How does the moment of inertia impact the performance of a flywheel?

The moment of inertia plays a crucial role in the performance of a flywheel. A higher moment of inertia means that more energy is required to start or stop the flywheel, but it also means that the flywheel will maintain its rotational motion for a longer period of time.

5. How is moment of inertia in a flywheel used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia in flywheels is commonly used in mechanical systems that require smooth and consistent rotational motion, such as in engines, turbines, and industrial machinery. It is also utilized in energy storage systems, such as in flywheel batteries.