3 physics courses at once too much?

In summary, it seems like the EM Theory course is the most intriguing to you and you want to take it, but you're worried about the workload. The course requires knowledge of vector calculus, which you may have already covered in your calculus sequence but can review through a textbook. It's also important to consider your other obligations when deciding on your course load.
accountkiller
I'm an undergraduate physics major. It's my 4th year at college but my 3rd year as a Physics major. Then I also took one semester off when I thought I wanted to go into elementary education instead so... my schedule of physics classes hasn't exactly been as standard as most others'. In the spring, I know for sure I am taking Intro to Circuits (200-level) and Classical Mechanics (300-level). I also want to add Electromagnetic Theory (400-level). However, I've heard from colleagues that all 3 of those courses require a lot of time for homework. The EM Theory professor said her course would take at least 10 hours outside of class.

So, I can't decide whether to take EM Theory or not. Out of all the course titles, that one always sounded the most intriguing to me. Any time I ask my parents a question about something interesting in physics, it always tends to break down to 'oh you'll learn that in EM Theory.' Since circuits and mechanics aren't particularly appealing subjects to me, I thought that having at least one course that I'm really into would be good so I don't get lazy and fall behind in the not-so-exciting courses. But I have been known to get too excited and overload my course schedule in the past. Last semester I took a general modern physics course, 2 labs, an english class, a 400-level astronomy course, and thermal physics (400-level) and had to drop the Thermal. So I know I'm okay with just a couple of physics classes but maybe not 3.

The EM Theory professor said that 10 hours is the minimum if I'm good at vector calculus. However, and this may be a silly question, what exactly does 'vector calculus' mean? I've completed the calculus sequence and have also taken Matrix Theory and Differential Equations. Is that enough? I'm actually retaking Diff EQ again this spring to get a better grade.

I apologize for the length and I know this decision is one I have to make because I know myself best but I am trying to get as many opinions as I can so that I can have an adequate amount of information to base my decision off of. Thank you to anyone who replies! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't know what vector calculus is then you probably haven't studied it yet. It's usually the final class in calculus you would take in a general 4 semester calculus stream (at least at my university it is). You'll cover things like Divergence theorem, Stokes' Theorem, curl, etc. etc.

As for the course load. That's what happens when you're taking a physics degree. 10 hours outside of class honestly isn't that much, it's relatively standard. You already said that you usually take 5 courses. Each course should take at least 10 hours of your time outside of class time if you plan on doing well, though you did say you took 2 lab courses. Labs take up a lot of time as well so I don't see it being a huge stretch.

I read your title and debated whether or not I should even respond to the question. I mean, a physics major taking 3 physics courses... what's next? Arts students showing up for class on Fridays?

Seriously though, the important thing is to make sure that you've covered all the necessary prerequisites you need for the course. Browse through a copy of Girffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics (or whatever textbook your professor is using) and that will give you a good idea of the level of calculus is required.

Clever-Name, thanks for the info - we did go over those theorems in my third (and final) calculus course but nobody called it vector calculus. Thanks for the clarification.

Choppy, I don't appreciate the sarcastic insult. Advisers at my school actually encourage about 2 physics courses a semester since there are other courses to be taken as well and they don't want students overloaded with homework. Everyone goes at their own pace and when I already have a job and family obligations, deciding how many credit hours is realistic for me is not always an easy decision to make. Thanks for your input, though. That is the textbook we'd be using so I'm going to find myself a copy of it to look over, thanks.

mbradar2 said:
However, and this may be a silly question, what exactly does 'vector calculus' mean? I've completed the calculus sequence

"Vector calculus" means stuff like gradient, divergence, curl, surface integrals and line integrals. In most colleges/universities in the USA, these are covered in the third semester of a three-semester calculus sequence. At some colleges like mine, it's the fourth semester of a four-semester calculus sequence.

mbradar2 said:
Choppy, I don't appreciate the sarcastic insult. Advisers at my school actually encourage about 2 physics courses a semester since there are other courses to be taken as well and they don't want students overloaded with homework. Everyone goes at their own pace and when I already have a job and family obligations, deciding how many credit hours is realistic for me is not always an easy decision to make. Thanks for your input, though. That is the textbook we'd be using so I'm going to find myself a copy of it to look over, thanks.

Sorry - I didn't mean it as an insult.

Of course you're right. Everyone has to find their own balance and I don't know what your other obligations are.

I generally disagree with the advice though. I came through a system where a standard courseload is five courses per semester. What worked best for me was 4 physics or math courses with an elective that allowed me to switch gears a little. Something I would caution against is that it cab be a little dangerous to assume that non-physics courses will involve less work than physics courses.

You also have to consider that if you only take 2 physics courses per semester, how do you expect to graduate in a reasonable amount of time? Or if you're only taking a minimal number of physics courses, is that going to limit your exposure to the field?

Further, if you intend on going on to graduate school - you'll have to do a lot more than the equivalent of 2 undergraduate physics courses in a semester.

1. Is it difficult to take three physics courses at once?

It can be challenging to take three physics courses at once since physics is a complex subject that requires a lot of time and effort to understand. However, it is not impossible, and with proper time management and dedication, it can be a rewarding experience.

2. Will taking three physics courses at once affect my grades?

It depends on your ability to balance your workload and manage your time effectively. If you are dedicated and put in enough effort, you can still maintain good grades. However, it is crucial to prioritize your studies and seek help when needed.

3. Can I handle the workload of three physics courses at once?

Taking three physics courses at once can be overwhelming, especially if you have other commitments. It is essential to assess your workload and commitments before deciding to take on the additional courses. It is also advisable to speak with your academic advisor for guidance.

4. Will taking three physics courses at once help me succeed in my career?

Taking three physics courses at once can provide you with a solid foundation in the subject and help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many career fields. However, it is also essential to balance your courses with other relevant experiences and skills to succeed in your career.

5. Is it worth taking three physics courses at once?

It depends on your individual goals and circumstances. If you are passionate about physics and have a strong interest in the subject, taking three courses at once can be a fulfilling and rewarding experience. However, it is essential to consider your workload and commitments before making a decision.