Interfering ions in a half cell

• Thread starter SebPT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Ions
In summary, the electrochemical cell is used to measure CrO4 2-. The standard reduction potential for the reaction is +0.446 V vs. NHE. The ions that interfere are S2-, Br- and Pb2+.
SebPT

Homework Statement

The electrochemical cell:

SCE // CrO4 2- (x M) / Ag2CrO4 (s) / Ag (s)

is used for the determination of CrO4 2- . The standard reduction potential for the reaction:

Ag2CrO4 (s) + e = 2 Ag + CrO42-

is +0.446 V vs. NHE.

(b) Which of the following ions would be expected to interfere with CrO4 2- quantitation if added to the analyte solution:

NO3 - , Br - , S 2- , K + , Pb 2+

3. To solve this I guess I need to understand how the half cell is working. So I think the electrons coming from the salt bridge react with Ag2CrO4 (s) at the surface of the Ag electrode to produce a deposit of Ag on the metal and CrO42- which stays in solution. However I am not sure where the interference will take place. I am not sure if adding K and Pb cations will just take in electrons and reduce current or if some of the anions interfere at the electrode surface. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write Nernst equation for the measuring electrode?

S.C.E: 1/2Hg2Cl2 (s) + e-⇌Hg(l)+Cl-

Emeas=0.242V-0.05916*log[Cl-]

Note: the half cell rxn in the original post should be
Ag2CrO4 (s) + 2e- = 2 Ag(s) + CrO4 2- (aq)

I don't see how the reference electrode matters in this case, since the interfering ions are in the other half cell.

You are right, reference doesn't matter.

Hint: note that while you wrote reaction as the one between silver chromate and metallic silver, it is in fact Ag+ that gets reduced, just its concentration near the electrode is controlled by the Ksp of Ag2CrO4.

So, should I consider the Ksp values of the interfering ions with Ag+ and CrO42-

Then the nitrate ion won't interfere since it is highly soluble and will stay in solution. However, the Ksp of S2- and Br- with Ag+ is less than the Ksp of the silver chromate reaction. Does this mean that these ions will mostly form a solid product when interacting with Ag+ effectively interfering with the half-cell reaction?

When considering the cations, could I look at their standard reduction potentials and compare them to Ag+? I see that they are both lower and therefore, the reduction of Ag+ will be favoured, but lead chromate Ksp is also low, and will precipitate some CrO42- out of solution.

So the ions that interfere will be S2-, Br- and Pb2+?

SebPT said:
So the ions that interfere will be S2-, Br- and Pb2+?

That's what I would expect.

Sorry, no time for more detailed discussion, and I won't be able to read the forum for a week.

1. What are interfering ions in a half cell?

Interfering ions in a half cell refer to any ions that may be present in the electrolyte solution of a half cell and can interfere with the electrochemical reactions taking place. These ions can affect the accuracy and reliability of the half cell measurements.

2. How do interfering ions affect the half cell measurements?

Interfering ions can affect the half cell measurements by either blocking or participating in the electrochemical reactions. This can lead to incorrect readings and can affect the overall performance of the half cell.

3. How can interfering ions be identified in a half cell?

Interfering ions can be identified by performing a calibration test on the half cell. This involves measuring the cell potential in a solution containing only the interfering ions, and then comparing it to the potential measured in a solution without the interfering ions. Any difference in potential indicates the presence of interfering ions.

4. What can be done to minimize the effects of interfering ions in a half cell?

To minimize the effects of interfering ions, the half cell can be calibrated using a standard solution containing known concentrations of the interfering ions. This can help to correct for any potential offsets caused by these ions. Additionally, using a selectively permeable membrane or a chemical filter can also help to reduce the presence of interfering ions in the electrolyte solution.

5. Are there any specific types of interfering ions to watch out for in a half cell?

Yes, there are several types of interfering ions that are commonly found in half cells. These include heavy metal ions, such as lead, mercury, and copper, as well as other common ions like chloride, sulfate, and carbonate. It is important to be aware of the potential presence of these ions and take measures to minimize their effects on the half cell measurements.