Closing a Circuit: Which Switches Turn On Light?

• Thread starter physicsguy101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, for the circuit to turn on the light, either S1 and S2 must both be set to A or both be set to B. This allows the current to flow through both switches and close the circuit. Otherwise, the circuit will not be closed and the light will not turn on.
physicsguy101

Homework Statement

Which combination(s) would allow the circuit below to turn on the light?

S1 = A and S2 = B
S1 = B and S2 = A
S1 = B and S2 = B
S1 = A and S2 = A

f2vhps.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that it would be true for the third and fourth ones when S1 and S2 are the same, so the current can flow through both switches. Otherwise, the circuit wouldn't be closed, no?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsguy101 said:

Homework Statement

Which combination(s) would allow the circuit below to turn on the light?

S1 = A and S2 = B
S1 = B and S2 = A
S1 = B and S2 = B
S1 = A and S2 = A

f2vhps.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that it would be true for the third and fourth ones when S1 and S2 are the same, so the current can flow through both switches. Otherwise, the circuit wouldn't be closed, no?

Yes, correct.

Curious3141, thank you very much for the quick reply!

1. How do I know which switches to turn on to light up a circuit?

To light up a circuit, you need to close the circuit by turning on all switches that are in the same path as the lightbulb. This ensures that electricity can flow through the entire circuit and reach the lightbulb.

2. Can I turn on any switch in the circuit to light up the lightbulb?

No, you cannot turn on any switch in the circuit to light up the lightbulb. You need to turn on all switches that are in the same path as the lightbulb to close the circuit and allow electricity to flow through.

3. What happens if I turn on a switch that is not in the same path as the lightbulb?

If you turn on a switch that is not in the same path as the lightbulb, the circuit will not be closed and the lightbulb will not light up. This is because electricity cannot flow through a circuit that is not closed.

4. Can I turn on multiple switches at the same time to light up the lightbulb?

Yes, you can turn on multiple switches at the same time to light up the lightbulb. As long as all switches that are in the same path as the lightbulb are turned on, the circuit will be closed and the lightbulb will light up.

5. How do I turn off the lightbulb once it is lit?

To turn off the lightbulb, you need to open the circuit by turning off all switches that are in the same path as the lightbulb. This will break the flow of electricity and the lightbulb will turn off.