22 years old. Need advice on what to do with my low GPA and transferring out of CC.

In summary: I have one failed math class that I could not get into this semester because of the long wait list.That would be a problem. That would be a big problem. You should definitely talk to an advisor about that. It sounds like you might have to take a different course or do some extra work to get that class transferred. There are a lot of options available to you, so don't be discouraged. In summary, the student is majoring in electrical engineering and has a GPA of around a 3.0-3.15. They lack motivation and have only been trying harder recently, but lack the motivation to improve their grades and have applied to many UC's but know that they would need
brotivation
I'm majoring in electrical engineering right now. My GPA is currently at around a 3.0-3.15. I lacked motivation all throughout my entire academic career. It's only been recent that I have been trying harder. I applied to many UC's already, but I know there isn't really much hope there since many require a GPA of 3.2-3.5 minimum, and I already logged in so many units that I would have to get a ton of A's in 5 unit courses just to raise my GPA by a little bit. I have one failed math class that I could not get into this semester because of the long wait list. I have about 1-1.5 years left of undergrad for my major. I just need 2 math classes and 3 physics courses. Anyone know of any schools I should apply to that has a respectable engineering department? Anywhere in the U.S. Also, any advice for me? I'm trying to get back on track,

Physics news on Phys.org

What does your academic advisor suggest?

Vanadium 50 said:
What does your academic advisor suggest?

I don't have one. I've been suggested many things by many different counselors. I have no clue what to do to be honest. I'm just taking classes that's all. I just finished all my GE. Working on Major requirement classes now.

I have never heard of a student at a CC without an academic advisor. Are you sure you don't have one? If you wanted to change classes, who would you talk to?

Also, if you have only taken courses at community college, it is highly unlikely that you will have "only 1-1.5" years of undergrad left. 4 year schools are not in the market of letting people sign on for a year to finish out their degrees. It does not make sense economically.

Vanadium 50 said:
I have never heard of a student at a CC without an academic advisor. Are you sure you don't have one? If you wanted to change classes, who would you talk to?

When I need to change classes, I just do it myself online. They have classes for me to see online on a website (assist.org). And I have just been following that. They do have advisers, but I have always led me to take different classes, so I've been confused as to what to do. Now I just follow the assist.org site because it's clear. I talked to an adviser and he said I should do SDSU, which is near my home, but the problem is that It's harder to get into SDSU because it's not part of my schools TAG programs.

Saladsamurai said:
Also, if you have only taken courses at community college, it is highly unlikely that you will have "only 1-1.5" years of undergrad left. 4 year schools are not in the market of letting people sign on for a year to finish out their degrees. It does not make sense economically.

Sorry I don't mean undergrad hehe I meant lower division coursework.

1. What are some options for improving my low GPA?

There are several options for improving your low GPA. One option is to retake courses in which you did not perform well in order to raise your grades. Another option is to take additional courses in a subject that you excel in, which can help to balance out your overall GPA. Additionally, you can speak with your academic advisor or a tutor for personalized advice and study strategies.

2. Is it possible to transfer to a four-year university with a low GPA?

While a low GPA may make it more difficult to transfer to a four-year university, it is not impossible. Many universities have a holistic admissions process and will take into consideration other factors such as extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. It may also be helpful to research and apply to universities that have a more lenient admissions process or have programs specifically for transfer students.

3. How can I explain my low GPA in my transfer application?

In your transfer application, it is important to be honest about your low GPA and explain any extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to it. This could include personal challenges, family responsibilities, or health issues. Additionally, you can highlight any improvements you have made in your academic performance or any extracurricular activities or projects that demonstrate your skills and potential.

4. Are there any resources available to help me with transferring out of community college?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you with transferring out of community college. Your academic advisor can provide guidance and support, and your community college may also have a transfer center with workshops and resources specifically for transfer students. Additionally, many four-year universities have transfer counselors or admissions officers who can answer your questions and provide advice.

5. Will my low GPA affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

It is possible that a low GPA may affect your chances of getting into graduate school, as admissions committees often consider academic performance as a key factor in their decisions. However, there are steps you can take to mitigate the impact of a low GPA, such as scoring well on standardized tests, gaining relevant work experience, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, some graduate programs may have a more holistic admissions process or have specific requirements for transfer students.