Finding the Length of a Curve: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the problem involves finding the arc length for a parameterized curve with equations x=sqrt(5)sin2t -2 and y=sqrt(5)cos2t - sqrt(3). The equation for arc length is given as (CurveLength_{t=a}^{t=b}) = \int_{a}^{b} \sqrt { (\frac {dy} {dt})^2 + (\frac {dx} {dt})^2} \ \ dt, and it is important to specify the values of t between which the length should be computed. The integral involved in solving this problem is not difficult and can be simplified quickly.
mugzieee
i got a problem that says:
x=sqrt(5)sin2t -2
y=sqrt(5)cos2t - sqrt(3)

how would i go about starting it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the equation for arc length for a parameterized curve?

--J

One other thing:You may want to know between which points you wish to compute the length...?In other words,give 2 distinct values of "t"...The integral doesn't seem to be difficult...

Daniel.

mugzieee said:
i got a problem that says:
x=sqrt(5)sin2t -2
y=sqrt(5)cos2t - sqrt(3)

how would i go about starting it?
[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ (CurveLength_{t=a}^{t=b}) = \int_{a}^{b} \sqrt { (\frac {dy} {dt})^2 + (\frac {dx} {dt})^2} \ \ dt [/tex]

(HINT: If solved correctly, this problem simplifies very rapidly!)

~~

1. How do I find the length of a curve?

To find the length of a curve, you will need to use a mathematical formula called the arc length formula. This formula takes into account the equation of the curve and the limits of integration to calculate the length of the curve.

2. What is the arc length formula?

The arc length formula is L = ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx, where dy/dx is the derivative of the curve's equation. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and is used to calculate the length of a curve between two points.

3. Can I use the arc length formula for any curve?

Yes, the arc length formula can be used to find the length of any curve, as long as its equation is known and can be differentiated. This formula can be applied to both simple and complex curves.

4. What are the steps for finding the length of a curve?

First, you need to find the derivative of the curve's equation. Then, plug the derivative into the arc length formula and set the limits of integration to the start and end points of the curve. Integrate the formula to get the length of the curve. Finally, round the result to the desired number of decimal places to get the final answer.

5. Why is it important to find the length of a curve?

Finding the length of a curve is important in many fields of science and engineering. It can help in determining the distance between two points on a curve, the amount of material needed to create a curved object, or the amount of force required to navigate along a curved path. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in calculus and can help in solving more complex problems involving curves.