Rank of a matrix and max number of missing values

In summary: For sure M(&&) is not 0. But In this case, I still don't know how to compute rank?No, you don't need to compute rank in this case.
sanaz
Hello all,

I have a question:
assume in matrix M(n*n), each element M(i,j) of matrix is computed as M(i&)*M(&j) / M(&&) where M(i&) is the summation of ith row, and M(&j) is the summation of jth column and M(&&) is the summation of all M(ij) for i=1..n and j=1..n. Now I want to know what is the rank of a matrix? Why?

Also what is the maximum number of missing values in matrix, such that we can compute them exactly from other values? For e.g if we have all values in first column and first row we can calculate all M(i&) and M(&j) and M(&&). Hence we can calculate all of the other values? but this the case when we have a whole row and column. I want to know in general what is the maximum number of all missing values? why?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's look at 4 specific elements:

M(&&)*M(11)= M(1&)*M(&1)
M(&&)*M(12)= M(1&)*M(&2)
M(&&)*M(21)= M(2&)*M(&1)
M(&&)*M(22)= M(2&)*M(&2)

Extending this, the different rows just differ by a constant factor, and the same is true for the columns. Can you calculate the rank based on that (assuming M(&&) !=0)?
This should give you the maximal number of independent elements as well.

1) For sure M(&&) is not 0. But In this case, I still don't know how to compute rank?

2) lest's assume rank is 1, in this case how many independent elements doe I have?

sanaz said:
2) lest's assume rank is 1, in this case how many independent elements doe I have?
In your example with a known first row and column, you just have one constraint - as you can calculate all other values in the matrix, the equation M(&&)*M(11)= M(1&)*M(&1) has to hold*. If that is true, all other equations are satisfied, independent of your choice of those 2n-1 elements.

*might be satisfied by construction, check this

But In this case, I still don't know how to compute rank?
Try Gauß to simplify the matrix (conserving rank) if you don't see it.

So #of independent elements are (n-1)(n-1)
Using guassian elimination it will be difficult to calculate rank, based on what I have matrix's properties can we guess the rank?

1. What is the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is the maximum number of linearly independent columns or rows in the matrix. In other words, it is the number of dimensions in the vector space spanned by the columns or rows of the matrix.

2. How is the rank of a matrix determined?

The rank of a matrix can be determined by reducing the matrix to its row echelon form using elementary row operations. The number of non-zero rows in the reduced matrix will be equal to the rank of the original matrix.

3. Can a matrix have a rank greater than its dimensions?

No, a matrix cannot have a rank greater than its dimensions. For example, a 3x3 matrix can have a maximum rank of 3, and a 2x4 matrix can have a maximum rank of 2.

4. What is the maximum number of missing values a matrix can have and still have full rank?

The maximum number of missing values a matrix can have and still have full rank is equal to the number of columns or rows in the matrix. If a matrix has n columns or rows, it can have a maximum of n missing values and still have full rank.

5. Can the maximum number of missing values a matrix can have be greater than its rank?

Yes, the maximum number of missing values a matrix can have can be greater than its rank. This can occur if the missing values are not in the same rows or columns, allowing for the remaining values to still have full rank.