How to calculate power output in piezoelectric material?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of piezoelectric material for harvesting compression energy and the calculation of power output using d33 and g33 data. The speaker also asks for recommendations on which type of piezoelectric material to buy for maximum power at low frequency under a stress of 0.5 kN and the performance of piezo cables compared to ceramics. The important parameters for energy generation are mentioned as well as the need to design a structure that resonates at the same frequency as the force input. It is also noted that displacement is needed to calculate available input energy.
kev139
Hi,

I want to use piezoelectric material to harvest compression energy, i need to calculate the power output but i can't find enough information on the web to figure it out...

First, I want to learn how to calculate the power output of piezoelectric material using d33 and g33 data.

Second, what kind of piezoelectric material should i buy to get the most power at low frequency under a stress of 0,5 kN for the price.

Third, how piezo cable perform vs ceramics, because it would be a lot easier to install them in my device.

Thank you all for your responses!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

The most important parameter for energy generation with a piezoelectric material is its electromechanical coupling factor, in your case k33. Its mechanical quality factor is also important. PZT is the most common piezoelectric material and may be a good start, depending on your application.

But that's not the only thing: if your mechanical input is a force, you should also design a structure that resonates at the same frequency than that of the force. You mention "low frequencies" in your post. Which range are you talking about?

Force isn't energy: you need to know the displacement to calculate available input energy.

1. How is power output calculated in piezoelectric material?

The power output in piezoelectric material is calculated using the equation P = 0.5 x C x V^2, where P is the power output, C is the capacitance of the material, and V is the voltage applied. This equation takes into account the energy stored in the material and the voltage applied to it.

2. What is the relationship between power output and voltage in piezoelectric material?

The relationship between power output and voltage in piezoelectric material is quadratic, meaning that as the voltage increases, the power output increases at a faster rate. This is due to the non-linear response of the material to applied voltage.

3. Can the power output in piezoelectric material be increased?

Yes, the power output in piezoelectric material can be increased by increasing the voltage applied to the material or by increasing the capacitance of the material. However, there are limits to how much the power output can be increased before the material reaches its maximum potential.

4. How does the geometry of the piezoelectric material affect power output?

The geometry of the piezoelectric material can affect power output by changing the capacitance and voltage applied. A larger surface area can lead to a higher capacitance, while a thinner material can lead to a higher voltage applied. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the material can also impact the power output.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of power output calculations in piezoelectric material?

The accuracy of power output calculations in piezoelectric material can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and mechanical stress. These factors can alter the material's capacitance and voltage, leading to discrepancies in the calculated power output.